1952 Paris built Normale RSJ 834

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Forum Archive Traction Owners Club Forum Your Project 1952 Paris built Normale RSJ 834

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 191 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I do not like the sound of that. I am looking modifying a Vauxhall unit used on the Corsa model. I have had a look at the unit used on a MGF as I have several of them laying around and they work well on the MGF but was concerned they may not be strong enough since the front end is very light. Perhaps you could try a smaller steering wheel?

Anonymous

Thought that today I would wash off all the crud under the bonnet. Only to find a broken engine mount spring thing. Apart from that no nasty surprises.

Anonymous

Walter Rey, a TOC member offers a rubber “silent bock£” as an alternative to the springs.
          Fitting is straightforward and you remove the rubber silent block behind the engine.

Contact me for more information

Anonymous

@mpopka wrote:

Walter Rey, a TOC member offers a rubber “silent bock£” as an alternative to the springs.
            Fitting is straightforward and you remove the rubber silent block behind the engine.

Contact me for more information

Hmmm, I wonder if that would reduce my booming noise – details would be great, even just to try it out.

Anonymous

I was looking at finding a replacement for the springs because I thought they were transmitting a lot of noise through the body from the engine. I wonder what replaces the rear block. Looks like I need to speak to this man.

Anonymous

Are you no closer to finding out what or where the noise is coming from? Mine seems pretty quiet really but then the engine is a normal run of the mill original unit.

Anonymous

Mad or what. Taking the car down to my friends workshop today to put it up on the car lift and have a general fix the gremlins morning. So keen to do this that I was wide awake at 0500.

Anonymous

@bazessex wrote:

I was looking at finding a replacement for the springs because I thought they were transmitting a lot of noise through the body from the engine. I wonder what replaces the rear block. Looks like I need to speak to this man.

Nothing replaces the rear block which is why using the silent blocks instead of the springs is supposed to make the car quieter. Can’t confim though as my car is still standard in that area.

Anonymous

I can see how getting rid of the rear mount would make the car quieter but What stops the engine see sawing?

Anonymous

See viewtopic.php?f=4&t=310 for the answer.

If you have not “subscribed” to each of the topic areas, I suggest that you do.

See: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118

Anonymous

@mpopka wrote:

See viewtopic.php?f=4&t=310 for the answer.

If you have not “subscribed” to each of the topic areas, I suggest that you do.

See: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=118

Done thanks.

Anonymous

After a while on the hoist I found why the front left drum brake was not working properly. The brake pipe which looks original has corroded and a pin hole is letting fluid out. So need new brake pipes. Is it me or are the pipes bigger than the normal size? I have a flaring tool but the pipe looks a bigger diameter is this right?
                            The good news there are no signs of any rust underneath at all. The front floor looks like it has been replaced within the last couple of years. So will steam clean underneath and prime, paint and spray stoneguard on all the exposed surfaces underneath.

Anonymous

Will a DS21 engine fit in a Traction? Is the sump a swap?

Anonymous

There’s some info in Floating Power – Volume 33 issue 1 January/February 2009 re the differences between a Perfo / 11D / DS engine

I can confirm that DS engines have a cast aluminium sump (with a complicated oil filter setup where you get covered in oil changing the filter element….) whilst the Perfo is steel with just a drain plug.

Whether you could put a cast sump on a perfo with the oil filter removed, I really don’t know.

It may be simpler to fit a DS engine/gearbox combo rather than trying to ‘mix and match’

I know some have fitted DS engines in a Traction and hopefully someone who has done that can confirm what is needed for you.

Anonymous

Thanks Dave. I have been offered a 4 speed box and ID engine which I will go for. But I have been offered a DS21 engine and box as well which is 2.2 litre I think and inboard disc brakes, I am not sure if I want to go the full DS21 route even if I could. My main thinking was that I need a manifold for the ID engine and a sump, so the DS21 would have been used for them parts if they fit.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 191 total)
                                • The forum ‘Your Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.