1952 Paris built Normale RSJ 834

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Forum Archive Traction Owners Club Forum Your Project 1952 Paris built Normale RSJ 834

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 191 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Yay! I now have 12 volt electrics. Not connected the wipers or fuel gauge but everything else is up and running. I turned the ammeter terminals round and that now seems to be reading the right way. I need to find a home for the warning light for the alternator or it might stay on a removable panel which will house the oil pressure and water temp gauges. Anyone with a French LHD BN can tell me what the bottom right hole on dash to the left of steering wheel should have in it? It looks like there is remnants of a switch or light but no wires on the back. I have also been stripping down the MGF loom and I have enough to do front to rear, I am also going to supply power points for high level brake light, a fog light and reversing lights.

Anonymous

That left lever is to open the heater flap. It should be a small rod going down to the circular inlet of the heater.

Anonymous

OK,
          I’ll get it sorted with “his Nibbs”.
          Nigel will be setting up the CCC stand – which is next to the TOC Stand here:
          Hall 5
          Stand 658 – TOC
          Stand 650 – CCC
          Stand 655 – 2CVGB

[attachment=0:2q0rjeno]2015-Nec-pla.jpg[/attachment:2q0rjeno]

Anonymous

Hi Mick, yes I have the lever knob and that works fine. Above that I have the parking light switch. But to the left of the heater knob I have a hole with the remains of what looks like a bulb holder or switch. I will be taking all the bits out of the dash in the next few days to rub the panel down.

Anonymous

I will be at the NEC on the Saturday I will send you my mobile number.

Anonymous

If anyone else is interested we have about 15 of these machines.
                Nigel is setting one up on each of the cars on the CCC stand with a video running from the hard disk.

They are available at £40 each (Base unit, Screen with new Keyboard and Mouse)
                you can add more hard disks or replace the hard disk with an SSD Drive (£30)
                memory is cheap and can be added up to 2Gb.
                With more memory they will run Windows 7
                Ideal for a web browsing machine.

Collection at the NEC…. or whatever you wish…

Email me or ring 07766 785 563

Anonymous

I spoke with Nigel and its all sorted.

he will bring dawn a machine for you.

Nigel is easy to find – just say “Nigel” on the CCC stand and everyone runs away. 😈

Anonymous

I summoned up the courage and removed the old headlining. I now have a pile of very smelly and wet material which is going off to be used as a pattern for a nice new headlining. I found that the rear window is letting a lot of water in and that the wood surround had rotted. Managed to salvage enough for a template to cut a new one out of ply.

I have removed the back seat but how do you get the side bits off?

The interior is now looking very nasty and it looks like the inside of the shell has never been painted. So will now remove all the insulation and attack the metal with wire brush and treat with rust preventer. Then a nice coat of etching primer followed by a couple of coats of paint. I will then look at sound insulation.

Electrics have moved on as well. Now have a 12 volt starter with remote solenoid and a 12 volt coil. I just need to fit the 12v to 6v converter and sort out the wiring for wipers, fuel sender and gauge. I am still debating if I should leave dash lights 6v or go 12v.

Anonymous

The side panels have 2 screws at the bottom if I remember and then they hook off by sliding them upwards. They have a metal clamp/hook that slides behind body.

Rear window is a pain. I removed it and re-sealed it. It was messy but in the end worked well. I also made a new wood surround out of ply and then varnished it to protect from damp (hopefully only condensation)

I think I originally wired for 6volt instrument lighting but it ended up more complicated than I thought (as I was using relays for lights). So I ended up taking a spur off the 12 volt which was easier.

You seem to be cracking on with it.

Anonymous

Yes I am not doing too bad. The screws for the side bits of the seat are on the inside at the bottom? Did the dimmer still work ok with 12v to dash lights?

Anonymous

Rear window leaking is a very common issue. You can actually buy the wooden surround from Fransen etc. which would save a bit of time cutting one.

The rear widow I refitted using ‘Sikaflex’ to bond the glass in, making sure that on the outside I ‘filled’ it at the rear otherwise water just lays in it which is what you really don’t want.

Anonymous

I saw that the ply surround was available but I had the ply and the tools so 10 minutes and it was made, I gave it a quick dip in plastic so it should last a while. Saved around 30 euros as well.
                            I will probably use the same stuff as they fit windscreens with now as I have a neighbour who works for Autoglass and will cadge a tube from him. It looks like the glass in there may not be original as the edges are very rough.
                            Not sure if there is also condensation problem as well with it running down from the roof etc. I am looking at spray foaming the roof and inside the door pillars which will stop the condensation and should help with noise levels.
                            The wiring up through the roof all looks to be very good for it’s age but it will be changed as I intend fitting fog lamps and a reversing light along with a high level brake light. All of the lights will be plug and play so when not needed they will live in the boot.
                            My enemy is as always time. This time of year I am very busy fixing and installing new gas boilers so time on the car has to be snatched between work and walking the dogs. I am meant to be taking it easy after my stroke lol.

Anonymous

At last a easy way to do the pictures. Thanks Mick new computer is doing as it is told. This is the interior of our car. Or I should say was as I have now pulled it all out. Will post some more pictures soon.

Anonymous

That wasn’t too bad – I have seen worse in a lot that are driving around.

Mine was all yellow, must have been all the smoking they used to do in those days.

Seats look good too.

Anonymous

The seats were not too bd to be honest I thin a little bit of sewing and a clean and they would be fine. Trouble is I did not like the colour. The old headlining had a lot of rust marks but apart from that and it had faded it was in fair condition. I might cause a riot when I post pictures of the new interior, it will not be standard.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 191 total)
                                • The forum ‘Your Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.