1952 Paris built Normale RSJ 834

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Forum Archive Traction Owners Club Forum Your Project 1952 Paris built Normale RSJ 834

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 191 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

………….

Anonymous

I am meaning to get to see Paul again soon. I obviously need to read more on this job. I was going to keep the care with it’s original engine and gearbox running for the summer coming and over next winter change engine etc.

Anonymous

I have a problem! The piece on top of the starter motor which I will call a solenoid has stopped working and let me know by glowing. I have taken it off and inside the plastic has melted and a couple of insulating washers are broken. My problem is I can see many of these unit parts for sale but none match what I have. My unit has the actuating cable running through it whereas all those I can find have a arm at the side. Any ideas on where I can find a unit like mine or is it possible to fit the other type?

Anonymous

Take a photo Baz, I think yours is the same as mine. I am going to one of the biggest Bourse d’exchanges in the area (well it is 3 hours away) this Saturday so I can look out for one for you. All the big boy suppliers will be there too.

Ian

Anonymous

Looking at my parts catalogues it could be a later starter fitted from 1953 on which doesn’t have the arm?

Googled for the Solenoid bit on top via the part number 701838 or 701857 but no joy – I’ll add a parts image once I re install my scanner software 🙄

Maybe someone will know better, but you may have to fit a new starter motor

EDIT: is this the one Baz?

Anonymous

Yep – that is mine.

It is a very simple device thought – i.e. the cable passes through a copper strip. When you pull the strip it makes contact and the amps pass through.

Sure you can rig something up to make it work.

I will keep an eye out on Saturday.

Anonymous

Baz,
                  The other alternative is to ring John Gillard at Classic Restorations.
                  John has tons (and I mean tons) of traction spares.

John can be contacted on 0207 358 9969, but not on Mondays.

He located at 636 Old Kent Road, London SE15 1JE

You can see some of the spares here:
                  https://youtu.be/XEcLEh8Yf-c

(Ideal for watching on a wet rainy Sunday……)

Enjoy!

Anonymous

Yes Ian and Dave that is the one. Interesting it is for a 1953 onwards though. My car is a late 1952 it seems so this must have been fitted as a replacement at some time. Mick I am in the Old Kent Road area tomorrow working so I may well pay John a visit. I have looked at replacing the brass fitting coming out of the motor with a post and use a external solenoid with a push to start button.
                    Just re read Micks post and Monday is a no no. Oh well have to see if I can get a job there later in the week.

Anonymous

@tripyrenees wrote:

Take a photo Baz, I think yours is the same as mine. I am going to one of the biggest Bourse d’exchanges in the area (well it is 3 hours away) this Saturday so I can look out for one for you. All the big boy suppliers will be there too.

Ian

Thanks Ian I really appreciate that. Yes mine is the one shown by Dave. I know it is a fairly simple set up but all the plastic has melted and since such a heavy current passes through that cable I am loathe to bodge something.

Anonymous

@bazessex wrote:

Yes Ian and Dave that is the one. Interesting it is for a 1953 onwards though. My car is a late 1952 it seems so this must have been fitted as a replacement at some time.

I was talking to James Geddes on Thursday (he is working on a Familiale for a customer) and that car is still on 6 volt and he said that having a remote solenoid in the engine bay with a dashboard push button was problematic. The car he is working on has a solenoid with an integral push button mounted below the dash as apparently that’s the only way it will work on 6 volt systems.

Works fine though on 12v systems so maybe it’s worth doing the conversion whilst you have the car in bits…..

Anonymous

@OSL282 wrote:

@bazessex wrote:

Yes Ian and Dave that is the one. Interesting it is for a 1953 onwards though. My car is a late 1952 it seems so this must have been fitted as a replacement at some time.

I was talking to James Geddes on Thursday (he is working on a Familiale for a customer) and that car is still on 6 volt and he said that having a remote solenoid in the engine bay with a dashboard push button was problematic. The car he is working on has a solenoid with an integral push button mounted below the dash as apparently that’s the only way it will work on 6 volt systems.

Works fine though on 12v systems so maybe it’s worth doing the conversion whilst you have the car in bits…..

I am in the middle of rewiring and upgrading to 12 volt. I want a 12v starter but since I am going to be doing the ID19 engine and box change next winter I was hoping to leave that until then. So I may well go with the external solenoid option unless Ian comes up with a part lol.

Anonymous

Hi Mick I just got your message. Many thanks for your help. I will give John a call and get in there tomorrow. Once again thanks for your help. Sorry could not answer phone as I was in a meeting.

Anonymous

Met up with John Gillard at his premises today. I was in heaven, could have spent hours there but I had work to do. It turns out the part I need is pretty rare and is not interchangeable it seems. John explained a few options and I think I will for now drill and tap the existing fitting on the starter to take the cable and run a separate electric solenoid. John was great and showed me a lot of useful stuff and explained the pitfalls of some of the things I want to do. He really has got a Alladins cave there so I am sure I will be back soon. Thanks to you all for your help. I will keep you posted on developments.

I will add though that I had primed the pump on every occasion I had started the car but I am pretty sure the dealer I got it from had no idea on how to start the car.

Anonymous

Brad Nauss in the U.S. has six volt solenoids that are mounted in the engine bay, if anyone is interested. They work from a remote push-button on the dash. I installed one on someone’s car and it worked well.

Anonymous

Interesting discovery. The car has always been difficult to start. Today while rewiring the ignition system I found that someone in the past had fitted the condenser wire and feed from the coil to the distributor with no insulating washer. Result very weak spark at te points. Fitted a new washer and now the car starts first time every time. How it ever started I do not know,

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 191 total)
                                • The forum ‘Your Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.