1952 Paris built Normale RSJ 834

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Forum Archive Traction Owners Club Forum Your Project 1952 Paris built Normale RSJ 834

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 191 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Just been doing the same with my 4CV – I have just finished building the engine and it started first time. I turned it off and then it would not start at all. I went through everything, I even rebuilt the distributor, insulating the internal wires with heat shrink, double and double checking the insulation of the condenser. I had spark and the timing was perfect.

I had to walk away and do other jobs – came back, pulled a spark plug and the spark was a fizzle – changed the spark plugs and it fired up like a race car.

These little things 😆

PS – I have my Traction side by side to the 4CV copying what I did on the 12 volt conversion…..I learnt a lot doing my Traction.

Anonymous

The dash is being stripped.

Anonymous

Doors off ready for removing the rain gutter. Going to do one side at a time.

Anonymous

Front and wing removed to get at things easier and to prepare for painting.

Anonymous

Previous owner has it seems replaced the brake master cylinder.

Anonymous

Baz, I am on my second new brake master cylinder. The last one gave out during emergency stop – deer ran out in front of me. The pedal went to the floor. Luckily managed to steer round the deer but the drive home with no brakes was interesting. New part fitted ( from CAS in Holland )and all seems well now. Hopefully yours will last longer! Peter.

Anonymous

But how long did the first one last and where did you buy it?

Anonymous

That is not good. Surely they should last for years, I have had MG’s that have been laid up for decades and the master cylinder has always been ok.

Anonymous

I bought my new master cylinder from CAS – it did not last long, about 2 pushes of the pedal. the non return valve failed and the pedal locked up just as I was headed for the garage door.

CAS were very apologetic and sent out a replacement and I sent them the failed part. But this is the problem with these remanufactured parts, you never know and it could happen with anything.

My new CAS parts have worked perfectly since.

I have just done my 4CV master cylinder and that was a similar design (and size) and I chose to keep the original return valve but clean it up. Once bitten……. 😕

[url=https://flic.kr/p/CpCv2y[/url]

Anonymous

Interesting about the master- the new one from Jose Franssen on my 49 11BL would lock up. There’s a brake, then the pedal seems to hit something halfway down in its travel and would stop dead and then no brakes. I’ve only driven the car around my neighbourhood, but there’s a lot of pedestrians. A bit disconcerting to say the least. Franssen sent me a new one that I have yet to install and they want the old one back. Is everyone on the continent getting theirs from the same manufacturer? When I pull the bad MC I plan to disassemble the brake pedal linkage just to check it.

Anonymous

@L.Lewis wrote:

Is everyone on the continent getting theirs from the same manufacturer?

A lot of the suppliers ‘bits’ come in ‘Parts Industries’ packaging so one would assume your correct Larry.

I know John Gillard gets some seals for brakes etc. made in the UK and they are of a superior quality to those generally available elsewhere.

Anonymous

Cannot understand how blasé people are about losing the brakes. I am seriously worried about these stories and will be looking at a split system from a kit car supplier. Perhaps a letter in FP asking for feedback on these Master Cylinders.

Anonymous

Blase? Not me! It’s damned scary to lose your brakes. It’s happened to me several times- never hurt anyone, but once I crashed into a house (in an old Mercedes.) Not fun and not something to fool with. I thought I had the brakes sorted, so I put the engine in and found out that no, the brakes were not sorted. So, I am sure not driving that thing until it is fixed. Maybe there’s nothing wrong with the pedal linkage, but I’m still taking it all apart anyway just in case. I’d buy a split system if one were available.

Yes, Gillard has some superior rubber bits for brakes. Over here, the U.S. made dust boots for wheel cylinders slip right on the piston, on the ones John has, it’s a fight! You need plenty of brake grease to make them fit. A pain but worth it, I think.

Anonymous

@L.Lewis wrote:

Blase? Not me! It’s damned scary to lose your brakes. It’s happened to me several times- never hurt anyone, but once I crashed into a house (in an old Mercedes.) Not fun and not something to fool with. I thought I had the brakes sorted, so I put the engine in and found out that no, the brakes were not sorted. So, I am sure not driving that thing until it is fixed. Maybe there’s nothing wrong with the pedal linkage, but I’m still taking it all apart anyway just in case. I’d buy a split system if one were available.

Yes, Gillard has some superior rubber bits for brakes. Over here, the U.S. made dust boots for wheel cylinders slip right on the piston, on the ones John has, it’s a fight! You need plenty of brake grease to make them fit. A pain but worth it, I think.

I will be talking to John about what parts he supplies. I have built a fair few specials and have never had brake failure, then again most of these specials were 180mph rally type vehicles so I would not be here if there had been a failure. I was already working on a dual system idea but now will probably go the whole hog and change what master cylinder is used.

Anonymous

[attachment=2:33zmhr0x]20160202_175409__1454455012_80831.jpg[/attachment:33zmhr0x][attachment=2:33zmhr0x]20160202_175409__1454455012_80831.jpg[/attachment:33zmhr0x]

To cure a small hole in the raingutter means removing the old gutter curing the rust and then fitting a new one. Prep done and offered up new gutter from Fransens and it is a terrible fit. Looks like another case of a simple job being awkward.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 191 total)
                                • The forum ‘Your Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.