1952 Paris built Normale RSJ 834

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Forum Archive Traction Owners Club Forum Your Project 1952 Paris built Normale RSJ 834

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 191 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

OK got a picture today and compiled to show a ‘new’ French Big Boot BL petrol tank (which is what most suppliers seem to have available) V one from a Slough Lt 15 Big Boot tank – whilst notionally the same size, construction is different.

The tank Baz cleaned looks the same as a new French replacement whilst a Slough tank is not 2 halves welded together, it instead has the ends welded in and the lower one shown in the picture is leaking from a seam as well as the breather.

Other differences are that the French cars only use 3 bolts for each of the pickup and sender units whilst the Slough 12v sender and pickup use 6 bolts on the pickup and sender (and one wire less)

[attachment=0:3m4j3ykx]new_v_slough.jpg[/attachment:3m4j3ykx]

Anonymous

I suppose since our car is French built it would make sense to have that type of tank.

Anonymous

A few pictures to show progress. Next step is to spay the interior with new black cellulose then fit all new insulation.

Anonymous

Got fed up with cleaning and preparing bodywork so moved on to something else. I am very good at that usually have several things going on at once. Thought I would change the front flexible brake pipes and fit the front brake pipes. Did not realise they run between the rack and cradle so will have to drop rack to get them out and new ones in.

Anonymous

Yes, I feel your pain – I would flit between jobs just to keep me sane (secretly hoping someone would come in an finish off all the crappy jobs while I was not looking…. it never happened)

Looking good – what is the orange paint?

Anonymous

@tripyrenees wrote:

Yes, I feel your pain – I would flit between jobs just to keep me sane (secretly hoping someone would come in an finish off all the crappy jobs while I was not looking…. it never happened)

Looking good – what is the orange paint?

Yes I love final stage of body work but hate scraping off old felt and bitumen. Been so lucky though that I have found no major rust just a few small holes in places like behind door locating wedge plates and around the windscreen drain. I will fill them with new weld and grind down but so small it will not take a hour to do the lot. I too keep hoping when I return some of the rubbish jobs are done.

My problem is time, I am a Gas heating engineer and am really busy this time of year so if I am lucky I might get 2 hours in the evening to work on the car but since my stroke I find I get tired much quicker so that does not always happen either. I am hoping to get the car on the road again by the middle of April but not sure how realistic that is at present.

The red paint is Red Oxide paint, always use it after treating the surface rust and before spraying primer filler on. I brush it on in unseen places but spray it on if it will be where final finish is important.

Anonymous

@OSL282 wrote:

If the tank is a maximum 50 litres (it’s what it’s marketed at) then potentially 3.75 litres of petrol is always unused as the pickup won’t reach it and will pull air.

The pickup only reaches 18.5cm down from the tank top when you factor in the rubber gasket and the tank is actually 20.0cm deep internally.

Replaced the tank today and the joint between the breather and downpipe had failed. Old tank is quite a bit lighter than the new one and apart from the at joint is in good condition and clean inside and looks to have been galvanised on the outside.

[attachment=1:1v6ikl55]old_tank.jpg[/attachment:1v6ikl55]

[attachment=0:1v6ikl55]old_tank_2jpg.jpg[/attachment:1v6ikl55]

Potentially I suppose that could be repaired but I don’t know how it was attached, the new tank has a definite weld where the breather connects with the filler

Now the tanks are the same depth internally but the old pickup pipe was shorter than the new one by 12 cm and was only 17.3cm to the end of the strainer so that means 13.5% of the fuel which = 6.75 litres remained in the tank below the pickup.

Anonymous

[attachment=0:lhv8hv6v]20160315_173016__1458076825_42631.jpg[/attachment:lhv8hv6v][attachment=1:lhv8hv6v]20160313_204429__1458076776_70016.jpg[/attachment:lhv8hv6v]

New engine mounts. Seem to work and much less transfer to the body. Will need to road test more before saying a total success.

Anonymous

Looks good Barry, are you going to leave out the rear engine mounting, now that you’ve updated the ‘main’ mountings?

Anonymous

@NormanAnderson wrote:

Looks good Barry, are you going to leave out the rear engine mounting, now that you’ve updated the ‘main’ mountings?

Yes rear mount is gone too. Engine does not seem to move anymore than normal and noise level through body seems a lot less. Of course proof will be a good road test. I have had another idea with the mounts so they may change again.

Anonymous

@bazessex wrote:

I have had another idea with the mounts so they may change again.

Once you have done the design and testing, let us know. This was my bug bear this past summer (mainly due to poorly adjusted engine mounts) was the noise from the engine.

Ian

Anonymous

@tripyrenees wrote:

@bazessex wrote:

I have had another idea with the mounts so they may change again.

Once you have done the design and testing, let us know. This was my bug bear this past summer (mainly due to poorly adjusted engine mounts) was the noise from the engine.

Ian

I will do that, these are Landrover units at £9.00 each plus a bit of hex bar and a bit of M12 stud so a lot cheaper than the ones available elsewhere.

Anonymous

More work on the body.

Anonymous

A few pictures showing how it is going. Showing the small bore pipe I intend to use as drain from the rain gutter.

Anonymous

Easter has given me a few extra hours.

Biggest problem now is I have a reaction between cellulose paint and something underneath in places. Not happy. Will have to order some barrier paint and rub down the affected areas before applying it.
                                  The insulation is combined sound and heat. Going to do all interior surfaces and then add more under carpets on bulkhead and floor.
                                  I am now going to make my own carpets which could be interesting.

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 191 total)
                                • The forum ‘Your Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.