1953 Slough Light 15, 802 XUD

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Forum Archive Traction Owners Club Forum Your Project 1953 Slough Light 15, 802 XUD

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Thanks Ian, perfect shot and explanation.
      That’s why the ‘rattling good fit’ of the shaft is transformed when the screw is tightened up. It’s presumably pushing the shaft up against the worn/elongated bushings….

Anonymous

Just read Ian’s excellent thread on replacing the driveshaft oil seals, together with Den’s article in Floating Power. Great resources.
        Here’s my problem. Thought I’d show it here to get a collective opinion as to whether I should be changing the seals on this box. If the seals were leaking, I would have thought the oil would be running down the gearbox casing, NOT on the face of the coupling shown here:[attachment=0:24n6bzy8]802XUD_Lo_Res24.jpg[/attachment:24n6bzy8]Is this normal, would it be cured by replacing the seals? It’s happening on both sides by the way (you can see the puddle in the image from the other side.
        Thanks, Norman

Anonymous

I have got this on my newly sealed gearbox. When I left them loose the seepage was even more. But when tightened it eased but still had a tiny bit of leakage. It was minimal so I assumed it was normal, coming thru the shaft and it would be lost in the coupling of the driveshaft.

Just my thought, but I left it not know what would seal it anyway.

Anonymous

Being a newbie to Tractions I am not 100% sure but I would say replace the seals. Seen this problem on other cars and it has always been cured with new seals. To get the old seals out I would suggest drilling and putting a few self tapping screws in and using them to pull out the seal. Good luck. I seem to be very lucky at present as mine needs body work done rather than mechanical.

Anonymous

Ian and Baz, thanks for your advice.
              Will play safe and do them, as it looks like a fairly easy job to do now, rather than risk a huge job later.
              What a job to get to them once the engine is in.
              Ordered the seals now, and will get the sleeves as well. Fingers crossed the old seals come out ok!

Anonymous

Mark the welder popped around to take a look. It’s booked in with him after the job he’s on is finished. Should be in a week or two.
                The rear wings and fuel tank have to be removed to facilitate his work. He has some welding to do….[attachment=2:1n8n9p28]802XUD_Lo_Res31.jpg[/attachment:1n8n9p28]
                the rear jacking points just crumbled off in my hand…[attachment=1:1n8n9p28]802XUD_Lo_Res28.jpg[/attachment:1n8n9p28][attachment=0:1n8n9p28]802XUD_Lo_Res30.jpg[/attachment:1n8n9p28]

Anonymous

Norman, the rear ‘jacking points’ are actually on the trailing arms, not the bodywork. Still needs some welding though to strengthen the shell at those corners.

Anonymous

Hi Dave, thanks for your response. Agreed. The pic doesn’t show it well, but my understanding is the jacking points are (or in my case, were) here?:[attachment=0:2ue7k0kv]802XUD_Lo_Res32.jpg[/attachment:2ue7k0kv]

Anonymous

The gearbox output oil seals and those ingenious ‘Speedi Sleeves’ have arrived.
                      The drives came off easily with a puller. the old oil seals put up a fight. Tried drilling and then screwing in some self taps, no joy. Off to use Ian’s technique with the tin snips. Dead easy, made a nice long cut, and then using a pair of vicegrips on the exposed bit of metal, out they came. No mess or fuss. Some nice wear marks, pluse the white marking would indicate they’ve had a ‘previous life'[attachment=0:xx3guigy]802XUD_Lo_Res25.jpg[/attachment:xx3guigy]

But then take a look at this (forgive me if I’m splitting hairs). The oil was coming out of the face of the drive, not dribbling down the side of the gearbox, as I would have expected. It would seem to me, that the washer and nut must make a good seal, otherwise oil will indeed come out of the ‘face’ of the drive? (where I’ve drawn the red arrows)[attachment=2:xx3guigy]802XUD_Lo_Res26.jpg[/attachment:xx3guigy]There’s more – the lower ‘lip’ of the washer will not come into full contact, as there is a gap. Looks like there could be a circlip in there? (enlarge the image to see what I mean)Can’t be, it would serve no purpose?

Anonymous

@NormanAnderson wrote:

Hi Dave, thanks for your response. Agreed. The pic doesn’t show it well, but my understanding is the jacking points are (or in my case, were) here?:[attachment=0:3n2mguj6]802XUD_Lo_Res32.jpg[/attachment:3n2mguj6]

Yes, that’s where they should be Norman. There just about 10p piece size IIRC. Workshop manual drawings show them but are hard to interpret in real life

Getting the car out in the morning to go to a rally so will try and get a pic for you and post it

Anonymous

Here’s what the rear Jacking points on the trailing arms look like Norman. No idea if anyone stocks them though. (BTW that’s a custom stainless exhaust from ‘Longlife’ you can see as well so don’t get confused by it)

Anonymous

On a wet and miserable autumn morning, the car emerges from it’s lair onto the trailer for the journey north to Peterborough to Mark’s shop for the new cills to be fitted.[attachment=3:dkar593w]802XUD_Lo_Res33.jpg[/attachment:dkar593w]Arriving at Mark’s immaculate shop with an assortment of Detroit Dinosours and one Traction Big 6.[attachment=2:dkar593w]802XUD_Lo_Res35.jpg[/attachment:dkar593w]Mark doesn’t hang around. The rusted remains of what was once cills, and is now paint and bodyfiller is dropped.[attachment=1:dkar593w]WP_001793.jpg[/attachment:dkar593w]The new cills go on.[attachment=0:dkar593w]WP_001799.jpg[/attachment:dkar593w]The rusted wings are next!

Anonymous

Went up to Peterborough on Sunday to collect the car from Mark the magician. (Larry, if you read this, you are correct. Mark is a genius).
                              The heavens opened just as we put the car in the trailer, so the dust then streaked. The photos don’t do justice to the excellent cill and jambonneau work that Mark has done.
                              It’s now safely back in the garage at home. Work now starts on the front cradle etc.
                              Feeling a bit more positive about this project (even though I’m writing cheques like confetti)!

Oh dear, can’t do it. Get the following red message: Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached. 😮

Anonymous

@NormanAnderson wrote:

Feeling a bit more positive about this project (even though I’m writing cheques like confetti)!

Oh dear, can’t do it. Get the following red message: Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached. 😮

It does feel at times that your pouring money into a bottomless pit when restoring a TA 🙂

I have lifted the attachment quota again so you should be able to add some pictures now.

Anonymous

Thanks Dave, here we go: [attachment=0:2ra8znkx]802XUD_Lo_Res38.jpg[/attachment:2ra8znkx][attachment=1:2ra8znkx]802XUD_Lo_Res37.jpg[/attachment:2ra8znkx][attachment=2:2ra8znkx]802XUD_Lo_Res36.jpg[/attachment:2ra8znkx]

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 72 total)
                                • The forum ‘Your Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.