1955 Traction 11B "Barn Find" Project

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Forum Archive Traction Owners Club Forum Your Project 1955 Traction 11B "Barn Find" Project

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 443 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

This is so annoying – I ordered the gasket kit thinking it would have ALL the gaskets in it. But no, there are some extras.

So firstly I used the rubber seal in the wrong place (I can see that now), this is to go between the bearing cap and the sump. It will need stretching ๐Ÿ˜ฎ But there is a half moon of steel that is required to secure this in place…. who knew?? ๐Ÿ˜•

[attachment=1:1k27vgws]DSC06572.jpg[/attachment:1k27vgws]

And for the crank seal I need a length of special cord…… aaaaargh ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ‘ฟ

[attachment=0:1k27vgws]DSC06574.jpg[/attachment:1k27vgws]

It is now in the post from Holland along with a carb gasket kit and a feul pump gasket kit and also the carb heat shield….. may as well profit from a new order of parts ๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous

That thin strip of metal should go on the other end where there are two cut-out places in the groove where the seal fits. This is sure not my favourite part of putting an engine together. The newer gasket kits come with a white rubber strip, the older ones with a piece of pump packing. Either one will work, both are a pain.

Anonymous

Still waiting for some parts so I can get on with the engine but they have not arrived yet…… oh yeah, it is christmas too ๐Ÿ˜‰

So on with some more cleaning. The manifolds, Carb and fuel pump.

[attachment=2:3czjcmzt]P1070011.jpg[/attachment:3czjcmzt]

The Carb I will have to strip again when the refurb kit arrives but I thought I had better put it back together before I forgot where all the pieces got to.

[attachment=1:3czjcmzt]P1070045.jpeg[/attachment:3czjcmzt]

And the inlet manifold came up a treat – no paint required.

[attachment=0:3czjcmzt]P1070046.jpeg[/attachment:3czjcmzt]

Anonymous

Then onto some of the miscallaneous bits and bobs. This Pyrenean mud seems to have preserved the metal pretty well.

[attachment=0:1n1t3u3v]P1070048.jpeg[/attachment:1n1t3u3v]

Anonymous

How did you clean the carb exterior and manifold Ian?

Anonymous

I stripped the carb all down first.

Then some time in the microsablage cabinet (fine sand blaster). This is not good on greasy things so a full degrease first and rub down, scraping any lumps out of the groves and corners first. Also my cabinet is getting damp now its winter so the sand is clogging up the pistol….. pain ๐Ÿ™

Then, in the case of the manifold I polished it up on the wire wheel which takes away the dull finish the sand blasting gives.

For the carb I flushed it all out with degreaser and fuel to get any grains out. Then blew it through with some compressed air.

The individual brass fittings I wire wheeled, but it was not necessary as the carb refurb kit had come with absolutely every part – last kit I got had a gasket and a main jet replacement. This one from CAS came with every new removable piece including the brass float for โ‚ฌ20. Will post of the photos when I rebuild it again.

Anonymous

I can start on my Traction again now I fixed that horrible little 4L, 3 days of turmoil but all done.

All my cable has arrived for the re-wire, carb and fuel pump refurb kit is here. All my lights, indicators etc arrived. so I think it is time to do some electrical work and get some power pack into the car.

Fun times ahead ๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous

I would highly recommend that you use relays for the lights and horn. I had my headlight switch melt once so I rewired it with relays and no problems since. The headlights are brighter too. 6 volt negative ground relays are on American Ebay for around 10-15 dollars each and most vendors sell as many as you want.

Anonymous

I was going that way for the lights (dip and main beam) but you would recommend for the horn also โ“ I will be using 12 volts anyway so easier to source the relays.

What about the heater, is that OK just from a fused, switched supply โ“

Anonymous

My latest and hopefully final wiring diagram for the 12 Volt conversion and added bits and bobs. I have everything now that is required except for the secondary electric cooling fan….any recommendations would be great.

And also what size 12 volt battery should I be looking for (amps not physical)

[attachment=0:58gwmyqx]Traction%20Electrics.jpg[/attachment:58gwmyqx]

PS- to Forum Admin, can you allow PDF extensions for attachment uploads and also increase size of file, say to 300kb and maybe the size to 1024 wide….. ๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous

Yours is a ‘normale’ so the battery box is bigger than the BL? but electrical requirements are the same……..

I have an Exide EA654 fitted – 65 AH capacity with 580 A cold cranking

The original was 45 AH but my thoughts on batteries is that bigger is better, if the charging circuit fails, the car will run a long time just providing a spark off the battery reserve to get you to a garage/home etc.

The 580 cold cranking does spin the engine nicely on the recently fitted 12v starter (but probably led to the demise of the 6 volt starter out in France) ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Anonymous

I would use relays for the horns as well, I have them on mine. The heater doesn’t need a relay as it has it’s own internal switch but you will need to lower the voltage to six volts. I plan to use a relay on the brake lights on my 11B this spring to (hopefully) make them brighter as well.

Anonymous

So annoyed ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Trying to fit the crankshaft seals using the graphite cord supplied by CAS. I am following the right procedures and checking on photos but it looks like the cord was too fat or just didn’t fit right. I even cut it in half to try and fit it but I assume this will defeat the object as an oil seal.

Anyway, I tightened or tried to tighten the baffle bolts and snapped the lower baffle – such a pain.

Has anyone done this task before and can give guidance on the best way forward (after buying a new baffle of course)

[attachment=0:3o9z40ec]P1070049.jpg[/attachment:3o9z40ec]

Anonymous

OK – so I have had my problem explained by Peter Larson of CTA Services. It seems that I have an ID oil baffle fitted and this unit does not take the graphite cord. Hence the reluctance of it to fit and subsequently snapping the lower unit.

My car came off the line in the 12th April 1955 and stood in a barn since 1972. I have had a few explanations as to why my bottom end is part 11D and part Perfo. It may have been built using new parts off the shelf when they ran out of Perfo parts – I tend to agree as there is no evidence that this engine had been removed before. But it does cause me problems specially as I am new to all of this and do not know what to look out for.

Here is what it is supposed to look like.

[attachment=0:i1pdl3f0]IDS-crankseal.JPG[/attachment:i1pdl3f0]

I really wish I had known as this would have worked out a really easy job ๐Ÿ™

I am going to have a go at repairing my unit and see how it goes.

Anonymous

Has your crankshaft got that ‘knurled’ section which goes inside the baffle?

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 443 total)
                                • The forum ‘Your Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.