1955 Traction 11B "Barn Find" Project

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Forum Archive Traction Owners Club Forum Your Project 1955 Traction 11B "Barn Find" Project

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 443 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Ian, Daniel who responded on the Mitica Traction Facebook page actually runs courses on looking after/repairing a Traction Avant in English so any technical advice from him is amongst the best you will get.

For the rest of you ‘new’ to Traction Avants, he has a book called ‘Traction Avant for Beginners’ which covers some basic things.

Anonymous

Engine is ready to go back into the car. I have done all the jobs that I needed to do.

The gearbox slotted back on nice with a tight fit onto the clutch plate, so hoping all my worrying on the thrust bearing will be for nothing…. ๐Ÿ˜•

[attachment=2:391hpnas]P1070714 (1).jpeg[/attachment:391hpnas]

Lovely new water pump…. not my green but it will be OK black ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

[attachment=1:391hpnas]P1070715 (1).jpeg[/attachment:391hpnas]

And the last big piece was the oil pump – I am hoping this will raise the pressure from the original 2.5 bar I got when I first rebuilt the engine.

[attachment=0:391hpnas]P1070718.jpeg[/attachment:391hpnas]

So tomorrow morning, I will back the car out so I can get the engine hoist round and put it back in. I have already signed up for a 2 days Rally Touristique with the Citroen Universelle club which is going up to the racing circuit of Nogaro, so it better all work ๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous

Have faith in the Traction Ian ๐Ÿ™‚

An original pump gives circa 30 psi at 750 rpm, an upgraded oil pump from Roger Williams gives 50 psi at 1,000 rpm. I have one of Rogers pumps in my car and it is stamped with the rating on the bottom and at cold idle I do get 4 bar+ (58 psi) using Millers Classic 20w50 engine oil.

However after a long motorway thrash when the engine is hot it can drop to around 2.5 bar (36 psi) and 1 bar (14.5 psi) at idle but only the bottom end of my engine was rebuilt, not the rocker shaft etc. and soon recovers as the engine cools.

Personally speaking, not having the oil pressure gauge to watch pre engine rebuild was less worrying and the car still drove OK, it just ‘consumed’ a lot of oil ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Anonymous

@tripyrenees wrote:

Same with the water pump, I had changed bearing, bushes, even the spindle and the brass prop. In the end it would have been cheaper to spend the โ‚ฌ156 on the new pump.

Sorry Ian, was that from CTA?
            Good luck tomorrow!

Anonymous

It is from their Dutch friends, CAS… cas-shop.nl

I do not pay VAT on inter european purchases so you would need to add 20% onto that I am afraid but still worth it as I have dismantled my original pump about 6 times since putting it in, so hoping this new one will fix everything ๐Ÿ˜€ .

Anonymous

Thanks Ian, another great site for Traction bits. They even have the bonnet motif that I was after.
                Presume you used CAS for the service exchange silentblock?
                Just need to find a way round the VAT….

Anonymous

@NormanAnderson wrote:

Thanks Ian, another great site for Traction bits. They even have the bonnet motif that I was after.
                  Presume you used CAS for the service exchange silentblock?
                  Just need to find a way round the VAT….

Yes, near enough everything from these guys. They speak very good english and as the also renovate and repair Tractions they can help out on some of the technical issues too.

Very happy with them ๐Ÿ˜€

PS – half way through the engine re-install. Its in so now just putting all the other stuff onto it…. long day ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

Anonymous

It is back in – took most of the day taking it slowly.

Just need some oil and coolant and I will be ready to start him up. Tried the gears and all seem to change OK with very little effort. Fingers crossed it will be fine on the road. ๐Ÿ˜•

[attachment=0:2aer0p3a]P1070722.jpg[/attachment:2aer0p3a]

wooohoo – it is my 500th post…. do I get a prize or something ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

Anonymous

@tripyrenees wrote:

wooohoo – it is my 500th post…. do I get a prize or something ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

Highly unlikely, unless Mick has a lollipop he can send you ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Anonymous

He starts perfectly. Slight adjustment of the distributor and he is purring like the proverbial ๐Ÿ˜€

Oil pressure up to 4 straight away at very low idle and increases when a few revs put on – so pleased to see the change.

No water leak from the water pump – first time since I have had the car ๐Ÿ˜€

Just need to jack him up and check underneath as I had to take off the sump and didn’t replace the nearly new gaskets (I know I know, but these are nicely bedded in now).

But – QUESTION OF THE DAY

โ“ โ“ โ“ My clutch pedal is sticking quite far up now. What is the procedure to lower the pedal to a reasonable height, i.e in line with the other pedals. โ“ โ“ โ“

Anonymous

Ian, so glad you cracked it, well done. The suspension was killing.
                          Sadly no answer from me when it comes to your question of the day, though the solution must surely be so simple?
                          I must now get back to putting up more shelving in the workshop. Need the space as more and more bits come off my machine. Have started to clean, treat and spray some components. That feels good….

Anonymous

Back on the road again ๐Ÿ˜€

Clutch feels fantastic, no juddering, smooth changes (ish, still need to adjust foot pedal and also changing rod on 1st & Rev as I had messed with this pre clutch change thinking that may have been the issue for bad changing).

No drips either, and oil pressure stays at 4 when driving, drops to just over 1 at idle. Temp not rising above 60 so far.

All in all, not a bad few days work – just need to tidy him up a little and fix a few rattles – old “Vinny” always looks the scruffiest at these meets but I am hoping he is one of the few that does not break down ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

Anonymous

Jealous of your clutch. I must add that to my list as it would really improve around town drivability if I could lose the juddering. Congratulations.

Anonymous

Been out and about in “Vinny” today. All if feeling good other than booming noise at around 100kph. I can’t remember it being this load before. So I will check into this, thinking it might be the new engine mount block I put on pressing to tight against the bulkhead.

And if anyone has a “procedure” or a “how to” on the clutch adjustment I would really appreciate it. I am nearly there but a step by step would be fantastic. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anonymous

………….

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 443 total)
                                • The forum ‘Your Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.