1955 Traction 11B "Barn Find" Project

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Forum Archive Traction Owners Club Forum Your Project 1955 Traction 11B "Barn Find" Project

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 443 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

No work done today as I went to Toulouse with the head to be machined.

So the guy comes out and says I have the wrong head….. (me) but you don’t know what crankcase I have……. (me) it is the right head but I just messed up with the piston choice…… (him) so you want to make yours into a 15/6……..(me) no, I just want the edge shaved and by the way the 15/6 has 6 cylinders……

He then proceeded to argue that the 15/6 just had bigger cylinders and not 6….. oh dear.

So I pick it up on Thursday, just hope he has not drilled out two more cylinders in the head for me πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Anonymous

@OSL282 wrote:

Haven’t seen a heat shield for the fuel pump before, was that on the car when you got it?

Standard fitting, I believe, Dave, as with the heatshield for the Dynamo and for the Carburettor.

They are the sort of thing that gets taken off and forgotten about when re-assembling (like the heater tube).

In places like the UK the difference is probably negligible, however if you encounter fuel vaporisation it something to try to eliminate the problem.

Anonymous

@mpopka wrote:

Standard fitting, I believe, Dave, as with the heatshield for the Dynamo and for the Carburettor.

They are the sort of thing that gets taken off and forgotten about when re-assembling (like the heater tube).

In places like the UK the difference is probably negligible, however if you encounter fuel vaporisation it something to try to eliminate the problem.

I can understand the one under the carb and the dynamo one to reduce the exhaust heat but would have thought it better to have air flowing over the fuel pump from the front of the car. I have never seen one on a car, in a parts book or workshop manual, the only place I can actually see on is on Fransens and CTA web sites

Sorry for interrupting your build thread Ian.

Anonymous

No worries Dave – glad I am introducing something new. I just bought what I took off and the heat guards were the most tattiest part so needed to be replaced.

Not a huge amount of work done this weekend as I needed to get my little AZU van ready for its MOT tomorrow morning. Had to jump the car to start it as the battery was a little low. Fixed the intermittent headlights (not screwed in correctly) and the rear brake light (bulb had wiggled loose) and checked the tires – all is well and this time the MOT will last for 5 years πŸ˜€

[attachment=2:j5uyswqn]P1070338.jpeg[/attachment:j5uyswqn]

I did manage to put the lights back on for test. Took a while as I had one blown bulb (brand new) which stumped me for a while and then a dodgy (dirty) connector on the back of the headlight. As all my wiring is brand new I always think the worse and go off fault finding the circuit when it was just a simple bulb and connector. All good now and surprisingly bright.

[attachment=1:j5uyswqn]P1070340.jpeg[/attachment:j5uyswqn]

I have started on the bumpers – the previous owner bumped them a lot so the brakes are bent totally out of shape so trying to find the correct angles and arcs to get them back. But that metal is pretty thick gauge so bending is proving difficult. I will give it another go tomorrow and try and find another 11B to see if I can get a template from it to make sure the radius is correct (as at the moment I can not see anyway this will go back together 😯 )

Lastly, quick quiz – these 3 parts are from somewhere on the engine but I have no clue from where – I have a feeling the two screws go on the rocker cover… is that correct. But the spacer, not sure where that goes ❓ ❓

[attachment=0:j5uyswqn]P1070336.jpg[/attachment:j5uyswqn]

Anonymous

The two screws are threaded internally, right? Then I think they would be for the rocker cover where the stud extends upward so the air cleaner unit can be fastened down. It is an 11D engine with the large air cleaner, correct?

Anonymous

They are threaded internally, yes. So they are for the rocker cover….good. I hate having left over parts. I have near enough been exact to the bolt so far (a few originals were too far gone)

I have the standard Perfo air intake – only thing 11D is the crankshaft and associated parts.

Now for that spacer – I could do with a close up photo of Distributor mechanism as I think it may be something from there, not sure.

Anonymous

Just had a friend round who builds Traction engines for a hobby and sells them on (he has a nice Legere too). He noticed a piece missing on the top of the crankcase that centres the head gasket.

I checked up on the piece and it seems to be 730007

[attachment=0:33cow9qr]blcok.jpg[/attachment:33cow9qr]

typed it into the cas-shop.nl website and it is Pied de centrage de culasse 730007

[attachment=1:33cow9qr]730007.jpg[/attachment:33cow9qr]

Which looks exactly like the only piece that I could not identify above….. πŸ˜€

Anonymous

“Save the cents and the Euro’s will look after themselves” πŸ˜€

Anonymous

Collecting my machined head tomorrow morning so in the mean time I have been fettling with the knackered bumpers. The previous owner learned to drive in this car as well as take all his mates to all the local parties (even our Mayor said she ended up in the back a few times). So the bumpers were bent out of shape in every direction. I t has taken a while to find decent photos and drawings to determine a visual pattern to bend the back to normal.

This steel is pretty hefty gauge so bending it without heat was pretty tough. But I think I have near enough got there. I will disassemble and paint the frame and then polish up the best I can the very rusty, pitted chrome.

[attachment=1:19ahr4kl]P1070342.jpg[/attachment:19ahr4kl]

[attachment=2:19ahr4kl]P1070344.jpeg[/attachment:19ahr4kl]

Trying to squeeze the cars in the garage as the weather is atrocious over here at the moment. Non stop rain. Plus I have quite a bit of work on them. New alternator for the 4L. New rear door (painted already) for the Dyane as well as tidying up the engine bay and patching up the rust spots. Busy busy at Grease Nipple Garage πŸ™‚

[attachment=0:19ahr4kl]P1070345.jpeg[/attachment:19ahr4kl]

Anonymous

“Weather is atrocious?” “Rain?” It hasn’t been above freezing here all month! Snow! Slush! Ice! Engine block heaters that don’t heat! Frozen solid windscreen washers! Frozen door locks! Angst! Despair! Is spring ever going to arrive? πŸ™„

Anonymous

Balmy 9c and sunny on the Northumberland coast today so took the BL out for a run, kep your weather guys, we don’t want it πŸ‘Ώ

Anonymous

It’s supposed to warm up to zero next week. Yeah right! πŸ˜₯ But, at least my cars are in heated storage. :mrgreen:

Anonymous

Do you have a sketch of the bumpers that you could post? Mine have also suffered from quite a bit of braille parking.

Anonymous

I don’t and that was half the problem trying to figure out the bends – I had one photo to work from for the front but the rear was more difficult as the bumper is so close to the rear valence.

I am going to a bourse tomorrow and there is bound to be a couple of Tractions there, if not on Sunday we have the Traction Universelle Midi Pyrenees outing very close to my house. I am going in my little AZU van but the other have some nice Tractions so out with the camera again. I was going to trace the angles and put it on a scale diagram.

I cannot believe the cost of the metal brackets – it is about €10 of metal and a local smithy could bend this lost in 30 mins. That was my next port of call after putting the diagram together πŸ˜€

Anonymous

Personally, I have left my bumpers with the dings and bends that have accrued over the years as it adds ‘character’ and shows the cars age πŸ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 443 total)
                                • The forum ‘Your Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.