1955 Traction 11B "Barn Find" Project

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Forum Archive Traction Owners Club Forum Your Project 1955 Traction 11B "Barn Find" Project

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 443 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

………….

Anonymous

For the leak at the drive shafts, the gearbox must come out and the bell housing taken off, or loosened slightly to get the flanges off. If you just loosen it, you may have oil leaking where it joins the gearbox. Best to take it right off and install new gaskets. The flanges come off pretty easily, take them off and look where the seal rides. If this area shows wear, take the flanges to a machine shop and they can build up the wear by welding and then by turning them on a lathe for a new surface. Or, do what Den did. New drive shaft seals are available.

That bolt behind the fuel pump shield is not going to affect the oil pressure as that part of the block is open. Any oil escaping there is from it splashing around inside the block and sump. Low oil pressure may be caused by a weak relief valve spring in the oil pump itself.

The water pump must come out and apart. Here again, a machine shop can put a new face on the part where the seal rides. I did this with one of my cars that had a steady drip and now it’s fine.

Anyway, congratulations on getting it running. It may not be the beginning of the end, but it’s the end of the beginning as some famous guy said years ago.

Anonymous

@tripyrenees wrote:

ISSUE 2 – On dry start of engine i.e. plugs out and checking the oil pressure and on first start of engine and then a couple times more (Without Coolant) the oil pressure on my gauge ramped up to just above 2 on the scale. I put coolant in and restarted, but it struggled to start (could be anything) but the oil pressure is only just getting to 1 on the scale. What could have happened to reduce the oil pressure.

๐Ÿ˜•

When I overhauled my Morris 10 engine a couple of years ago, I had this. It turned out to be a small piece of debris, presumably dislodged during dismantling, that partially blocked the feed pipe to the gauge. Trying a separate gauge to the connection on the engine would prove this, but if you haven’t anything suitable, dismantle the pipe and blow it through and see what comes out.

Anonymous

…………

Anonymous

Just to add, on my rebuilt engine (52 Perfo) I get 3.5- 4 Bar oil pressure when cold (it’s a Roger Williams Pump) so yours is way off.

Anonymous

๐Ÿ˜ณ

Anonymous

@Den Hewitt wrote:

Issue 1.

Did you replace the Output Coupling Oils Seals?

Are the Output Couplings worn?

If the couplings are worn then you can use SKF Speedi Repair Kits part number 99146. I have used these. See my article in Floating Power Vol 25 2011 Issue 3 May/Jun.

Hi Den – this sounds very interested, I read your article. I have ordered a set of these speedi kits plus new bearing for the water pump.

So I can do this with out removing the gear box but then I will probably have to, to get the clearance from the drive shafts. Sort of goes back to my question of removing the gearbox in situ without the engine.

Anonymous

this is the hole I meant – I have plugged it with a bolt and copper washer but at first it was open. I just didn’t see it and missed it. There was oil in the thread and I think it was from here that the oil was spewing out.

What is it for??

[attachment=0:34qxe2kx]P1070394.jpg[/attachment:34qxe2kx]

Anonymous

@OSL282 wrote:

Just to add, on my rebuilt engine (52 Perfo) I get 3.5- 4 Bar oil pressure when cold (it’s a Roger Williams Pump) so yours is way off.

I am assuming you have the standard retro fit oil gauge sold everywhere.

I needed to get the engine started just to see what really needed doing.

Quick question – is it easy enough to remove the gearbox with the engine still in – looks it but if there are any hidden quirks.

Thanks
                      Ian

Anonymous

@tripyrenees wrote:

@OSL282 wrote:

I am assuming you have the standard retro fit oil gauge sold everywhere.

Quick question – is it easy enough to remove the gearbox with the engine still in – looks it but if there are any hidden quirks.

Thanks
                        Ian

Yes the gauge came from CTA and feeds from the plug on the crankcase at the timing cover end.

Not sure on the gearbox, you certainly can’t on a BL as there is no room, but it might be possible on a BN as they are circa 6″ wider.

Just been out and had a look at that ‘bolt’ forward of the petrol pump you were asking about, mine is just blanked as well so I’m assuming it’s there as part of the original oilway drill of the block when the engine was made. Sometimes there is no other way to create the internal oilways. From the location, it could be the drain channel back from the front Water pump and dynamo drive drive pulley to the sump? (my best guess without having a block to poke a wire in to find out ๐Ÿ˜† )

Anonymous

I had a problem re starting the engine – bloody ran out of fuel didn’t it. ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

So this is what I have on my oil gauge – it is connected on the rear of the engine as described. Do I need more pressure โ“

[attachment=0:11w0amnv]P1070398.jpg[/attachment:11w0amnv]

How quick should the temperature gauge start reading. Engine was only on for 5 mins so hopefully more than that. I even tried out the gears and had the wheels spinning (on the lift) Not so sad now ๐Ÿ˜€

Yes, with that plug now in the hole (behind feel pump) I now have no oil leaks – it sort of scared me a little last night when oil was spewing everywhere. It looked at first glance to be the sump but of course the oil flowed downwards to the sump area and soaked on that 1 inch of gasket. I was tightening frantically not knowing there was a ยผ inch open hole above.

Doing my final checks before I start pulling it apart again – I think I need to put in that 3 watt charging light that Den suggested, my little LED is pulling much current (very good tip that I have had in my mind since reading that…. thanks)

Anonymous

………….

Anonymous

If it’s over 2 bar (kg/mc2) at idle it’s not bad, when hot after a long run it will probably go to between 0.5 and 1.0 kg/mc2 (7-14 psi) at idle which Andy Burnett told me is fine……. Yours at 2.25 kg/mc2 is 32 psi

As for water temperature, there is no thermostat in the system, so it takes a mile or 2 before the gauge even moves, even in summer ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Anonymous

I have finished the night on a high and now knowing my oil pressure is sort of in spec that is great.

A big thank you to Den for that alternator tip – tried with my LED and light stayed on. Put an indicator bulb in temporarily and the light goes off once started and I am getting full charge to the battery. I would have been there for ages scratching my head otherwise.

So just the water pump, output shafts and exhaust to sort out.

and the wings, the lights, the door cars, the handles……….. tighten the ball joints, check the torsion bar…….. you get the picture.

But I think I see a glimmer of light at the end of this very long tunnel.

๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous

You’re getting there, I must say. You did mention that the leak from the gearbox diminished after a while and looking at the pictures, you likely have the original leather seals, which once soaked again in oil, may have swelled up a bit. I’d drive the car around for a while and maybe the leak will get to a point you can live with. But to fix it, it’s best to pull the engine right out and not mess with it in the car. Easy to damage the sump if you’re not very careful.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 443 total)
                                • The forum ‘Your Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.