1955 Traction 11B "Barn Find" Project

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Forum Archive Traction Owners Club Forum Your Project 1955 Traction 11B "Barn Find" Project

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 443 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Well done!

Anonymous

Many a person would have given up long before the car was officially yours πŸ™‚

I know were going off topic again, but do you use the Velosolex bikes for tours etc?

Anonymous

There is a plan in the air – I bought 5 of them last year, I have 3 on the road. I wanted to explore the idea of running tours along the Canal du Midi on the Velosolex with tours along the way (wine tasting, chateau visits etc). Basically when I can no longer keep up on the road bike (hence me training like mad now as I have let things slip while working on the Traction – I have the Tour de Corse in May, 1000Km in 6 days 😯 )

Anonymous

The car touched the ground today – first time since the engine was fitted.

I do like the hot rod, low rider look but I think this is a little low… don’t you think πŸ˜†

[attachment=2:2tqrj5jv]P1070420.jpg[/attachment:2tqrj5jv]

Put it up in the air again and noticed the adjusting bolt for the torsion bars had drooped. Put it back in place and lowered to the floor. Checked the heights (275mm from centre of torsion bar to ground) and it was still a little slow. Up again, another adjustment and it sits at the correct height now. I have not left much for the adjustment but looking at the access, it wouldn’t be too hard to remove the adjusters and reposition them later.

[attachment=1:2tqrj5jv]P1070422.jpeg[/attachment:2tqrj5jv]

A little bit of a polish and it comes up a treat for now. As I keep mentioning, the bodywork and paint if for next year πŸ˜‰

[attachment=0:2tqrj5jv]P1070426.jpeg[/attachment:2tqrj5jv]

Anonymous

And now the front is looking like a Traction, bumper on.

Before
              [attachment=1:2nmjfn6t]P1060037.jpg[/attachment:2nmjfn6t]

After
              [attachment=0:2nmjfn6t]P1070427.jpeg[/attachment:2nmjfn6t]

Anonymous

@tripyrenees wrote:

There is a plan in the air – I bought 5 of them last year, I have 3 on the road. I wanted to explore the idea of running tours along the Canal du Midi on the Velosolex with tours along the way (wine tasting, chateau visits etc).

Sounds like a plan for us older, arthritic members, or self drive Traction hire for known Traction Owners who don’t fancy the 1,100 mile drive to your base?

Anonymous

There is a local guy who rents out his Tractions. But I think it like €600 per day, €450 for the 2CV

You may be right…. I need to do something after my cycle touring ends. πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€

Anonymous

Does his insurance company allow foreign drivers?

Anonymous

Classic car insurance here allows anyone to drive – so if they have his permission then I suppose it is OK – but the “rental” aspect may change that.

That is why my young lad drives his Renault 4L at €70 per year fully comp – who would not have a classic car πŸ˜‰

Anonymous

OK – stripped out the water pump and have it in pieces.

What do you think of this then – the face does not look too bad but the shaft is pitted. Can it leak though this shaft too.

[attachment=1:2q9816zh]P1070437.jpg[/attachment:2q9816zh]

[attachment=0:2q9816zh]P1070438.jpeg[/attachment:2q9816zh]

Anonymous

I’d replace it. It’s actually the bronze face in the water pump housing that would need to be smoothed by a machine shop as that is where the carbon ring sits. The shaft is available and can be pressed out of the impeller.

Anonymous

I have just ordered a replacement from CAS. they do need the old one back though.

So what is the procedure to press this out – has anyone done this with out damaging either part.

Anonymous

Look at the back of the impeller- the shaft is visible in the centre. A hydraulic press with a mandrel that size can take it out. There is a process where pits on shafts can be filled, not sure who does it but I’ve seen it done for large (1,000 GPM) water pumps.

Anonymous

Luckily the miscommunication with the order has given me the spindle and the propeller so all I need to do is put them together and send back my old one as is.

Saves me getting the face machined to and at €15 it is a no brainer πŸ˜€

Twiddling thumbs at present waiting for the spares to arrive πŸ˜•

Anonymous

@tripyrenees wrote:

I had a problem re starting the engine – bloody ran out of fuel didn’t it. πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

So this is what I have on my oil gauge – it is connected on the rear of the engine as described. Do I need more pressure ❓

OK to add to my previous post on oil pressure, here is the cold idle oil pressure on my car after starting up today.

And here after a 70km ‘bash’ with the engine hot and idling – (whilst running at 80 KPH I had 3.5 kg/cm2 and at 100 KPH I had 4 kg/cm2 (couldn’t take a pic of that obviously πŸ™‚ ))

The pump was rated at 50 PSI (3.45 kg/cm2) @ 1,000 RPM after refurbishment and testing by Roger Williams and fitted when the engine was rebuilt last winter and has covered circa 7,000 kms since.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 443 total)
                                • The forum ‘Your Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.