1955 Traction 11B "Barn Find" Project

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Forum Archive Traction Owners Club Forum Your Project 1955 Traction 11B "Barn Find" Project

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 443 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

When I removed the silent blocs from the front cradle, I managed to damage the cradle a little using the press. It was repairable but when looking through the costs to sandblast and paint and then replace all 4 silent blocs it came to around €650.

A complete replacement cradle with silent blocs installed plus arms was on €700. So no brainer, I ordered it and received it yesterday. I just packed up all my old parts to be shipped to Classic Automobile Services in Holland.

[attachment=1:3d95i860]P1060612.jpeg[/attachment:3d95i860]

Lazy exchange 😆
      [attachment=0:3d95i860]P1060609.jpeg[/attachment:3d95i860]

Anonymous

I have hit a snag. I have no clue on how to dismantle the steering rack.

Here is where I am
        [attachment=2:3qlookau]P1060624.jpeg[/attachment:3qlookau]
        [attachment=1:3qlookau]P1060625.jpeg[/attachment:3qlookau]

I cannot tell from the diagram what is supposed to unscrew from what ❓ ❓

[attachment=0:3qlookau]S023.jpg[/attachment:3qlookau]

Anonymous

Reminds me, I was thinking about having my silent blocks changed this winter, so must look into it.

Anonymous

………

Anonymous

Cheers Den, I will get on with this tomorrow.

Yes, the dust cover was very sharp and in pieces, so I extracted that with pliers and screwdrivers – I think I will need a new one of those (601976)

Ian

Anonymous

…………..

Anonymous

If the inner pins and cups are worn, parts 601849 & 602055, they can be reused by turning the pin 90 degrees from where they were so the cups will ride on a fresh surface. I did that on my 11B in 1989 and it’s still good. Racks are not fun to mess with. I do like the pre-assembled cradle; I hope the need never arises though. I imagine shipping across the pond would be shocking.

Anonymous

I have followed this near enough without knowing (the dismantling schedule) but when it says “Remove split pin, unscrew slotted nut forming guide ball (done) and disengage retaining tube from ball pin seating by using spanner 1976-T “

What is involved when it say disengage retaining tube? Does that mean unscrew? Left or right or just wiggle?

The one tool I do not have is the 1976-T but I think I can manufacture one but still don’t know what I need to do with it 🙁

Anonymous

It comes down to the right tools for the right job….. for sure 😀

I made up a mini 1976-T spanner from a bit of 20mm tubing and 6mm rod. I pushed it in and wiggled a little bit but nothing so I went for the screw. After a bit of effort it loosened and it came out no problem at all. phew 😛

[attachment=2:11mrw46b]P1060626.jpeg[/attachment:11mrw46b]
                      [attachment=1:11mrw46b]P1060627.jpeg[/attachment:11mrw46b]

Right, now the weekend off. Loaded the little AZU onto the trailer and towing it with the little Renault 4L to Nogaro race circuit for the Classic Festival. Should be a good weekend if the weather holds…. not looking too good at present. 😕 😕

[attachment=0:11mrw46b]CF14-A2-traction.jpg[/attachment:11mrw46b]

Anonymous

It is all about the cleaning at the moment.

I have finished painting the engine bay (and under the wings just to protect the bare metal as it had pealed with rust) which is not too bad for an amateur attempt. I had to sand it down a few times but it will mostly be covered up with engine parts (I hope 😆 )

I dismantled the steering rack which was a task, mainly due to the hardened grease that had packed out the springs and washers. Some of the individual parts are quite pitted but I will take the top tip and turn the ball joint by 90 degrees to allow the new surface to be used. I am thinking with the cleaning and new grease they will be good for another few years. I have ordered new dust covers, gaiters, gaskets and balljoint dust covers.
                        [attachment=2:quqy11xk]P1060629.jpeg[/attachment:quqy11xk]

I am concentrating on everything that needs to be fitted into the engine bay before the engine goes in. This frees up my bench space so I can then start on the engine rebuild.
                        So next on the list are the torsion bar mounts, engine mounts and the accelerator mechanism.
                        [attachment=1:quqy11xk]P1060634.jpeg[/attachment:quqy11xk]
                        [attachment=0:quqy11xk]P1060642.jpeg[/attachment:quqy11xk]

Anonymous

I am painting and refitting as I go which is quite satisfying as at least I can see some progress instead of shelves full of dirty old parts 😯
                          [attachment=1:2u1i19vt]P1060635.jpeg[/attachment:2u1i19vt]

And I finally got the first part back on the car – the handbrake mechanism 😀 😀
                          [attachment=0:2u1i19vt]P1060641.jpeg[/attachment:2u1i19vt]

Would be interested if there are any tips or “Need to know” aspects for refitting the torsion bars (other than keeping them left and right)

Anonymous

More done this evening – stripped down the master cylinder and cleaned all the parts. I have ordered the refurb kit which will come with a new resevoir bottle and copper piping kit so I will do the complete braking system all at the same time.

[attachment=2:6nz6zs2y]P1060646.jpeg[/attachment:6nz6zs2y]
                            [attachment=1:6nz6zs2y]P1060648.jpeg[/attachment:6nz6zs2y]

I re-installed the torsion bar adjuster mechanism after a lot of cleaning, this was just covered in tar, mud and crap and was unrecognisable when I took it apart.

[attachment=0:6nz6zs2y]P1060650.jpeg[/attachment:6nz6zs2y]

Anonymous

Bit of fettling to try and save the paint I got the face plate on and all is secure. I also installed the gas pedal mechanism too so all at the rear is done (except the brake system)

[attachment=1:2c08xm8d]P1060651.jpeg[/attachment:2c08xm8d]

I offered up the the front suspension system and put in a torsion bar to see if it all fitted. It is starting to look like a car again….well ok, a skeleton of a car 😆

I will read the section on installing the torsion bars tonight ready to get them in tomorrow. And then it is full on with the front suspension system and hubs.

[attachment=0:2c08xm8d]P1060653.jpeg[/attachment:2c08xm8d]

Anonymous

I am getting tired of cleaning parts now…… awaiting a delivery from CAS for all the small parts and I will start rebuilding and refitting to the car.

I think this is the dark period of the restoration 🙁 🙁 🙁

Anonymous

@tripyrenees wrote:

I think this is the dark period of the restoration 🙁 🙁 🙁

Ah but does a ‘restoration’ ever end, my ‘rolling restoration’ is still ongoing after 2 years, there is always something to do on a Traction 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 443 total)
                                • The forum ‘Your Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.