1955 Traction 11B "Barn Find" Project

Traction Owner’s Club Forums Forum Archive Traction Owners Club Forum Your Project 1955 Traction 11B "Barn Find" Project

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 443 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

More cleaning today. I have the engine ready for its coat of RAL6020 green paint when I receive it from Restom on Tuesday (fingers crossed). I wanted to paint the interior but I think that will be too much flaffing and waiting around. The interior is not too bad anyway.

[attachment=2:1x66n5p6]P1060761.jpg[/attachment:1x66n5p6]

The sump came up good and it seems a shame to have to paint it ๐Ÿ˜€

[attachment=1:1x66n5p6]P1060775.jpeg[/attachment:1x66n5p6]

In between cleaning I have to keep myself saine so I am starting on the refurb of the smaller parts to keep on top of it. So here goes with the distributor ๐Ÿ˜ฏ

[attachment=0:1x66n5p6]P1060763.jpeg[/attachment:1x66n5p6]

I will first get everything working with eh standard distributor then try out the 1-2-spark electronic ignition.

Anonymous

While your fitting the distributor remember to use a new sleeve with ‘0’ rings fitted to reduce the movement or get yours adapted viewtopic.php?f=4&t=96&start=10#p411

BTW most people tend to paint the engine once it’s assembled, it supposedly helps seal over any gaps and help with oil leaks ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Anonymous

…………..

Anonymous

Daft questions, but Cylinder 1 is at the rear of the engine (closest to the windscreen) ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Mind blank and can I find this written anywhere. ๐Ÿ˜•

And when they say “Respect the fitting orientation when fitting the pistons” what does that mean. Does it matter if they point left or right or just all the same way?

[attachment=0:1g88oupp]IMG_1581.jpg[/attachment:1g88oupp]

Anonymous

…………….

Anonymous

…………

Anonymous

Also to add to Den’s post, firing order is 1 3 4 2 – when fitting the distributor with cylinder 1 at TDC using a standard ‘clock’ as a guide, the rotor arm on a normal points dizzy is at somewhere near 20-15 minutes to the hour i.e. pointing forward to the water pump, but with the 123 electronic you may find that with no 1 at TDC the rotor arm is pointing at somewhere near 5-10 past the hour – towards the timing chain end, so don’t panic and think your doing something wrong!!

Anonymous

Thanks for this – I am a little away from fitting the distributor although I cleaned up the old one and it looks OK.

I am not going to use 1-2-3 ignition but a very similar sounding unit 1-2-spark. This unit is a black box that is fully programmable and is hidden away with the only connection being to the existing distributor (to distribute the spark) and to a sensor fitted to the fly wheel that tells the unit to fire the spark. This will differ at different temperatures and revs throughout the cycle. I use it on my ’79 Dyane and it starts every time with zero choke on the first turn of the key (the Dyane has had special programming as it is fitted with the Turbo so slightly different – not my doing, I bought it like this ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Good day today – had a visit from the upholsterer and if I supply the material he will do the door cards and all the seating at less than half what I was quoted in Toulouse, cash of course ๐Ÿ˜‰

I also started taking off the rear hubs as now I need to go to Toulouse I may as well drop these off to be skimmed and new pads fitted to the shoes.
                    [attachment=0:3kkd6m6m]P1060781.jpg[/attachment:3kkd6m6m]

Anonymous

What do you think โ“

Repairable or a new tank. It is only this patch that is rusty, the hole is big enough to have a look in and the rest of the tank looks solid enough but I can’t really tell for sure.

I am thinking with the cost of the repair then the treatment of the tank etc it may be cheaper to go for a new tank at โ‚ฌ222. Anyone had a tank repaired and restored before.

[attachment=0:2eeseowq]P1060798.jpg[/attachment:2eeseowq]

Anonymous

……………

Anonymous

Cheers ๐Ÿ˜‰

There is no fuel about or fumes, this must have been like this for some time. No I have started work on the rear I looked a little deeper to find this (well the wife pointed it out while I was doing the brakes).

I will drop it and cut that section out to have a better look.

Anonymous

Bottom Ball Joint

How much play should there be within the ball and the outer bearing rings. I installed them per the book with the correct shims and torque but I had a couple of mm of play up and down. I disassembled it again and placed the bearing in on its own and the play was within the ball and the outer rings i.e. when I hold the unit together as per the photo. There is no adjustment other then when the grease is packed in.

Should there be play or are these bearings totally worn?? Both sides are exactly the same.

[attachment=0:38g2br78]P1060821.jpg[/attachment:38g2br78]

Anonymous

I received some more info on the bottom ball joint. Originally Citroen put in a 0.05mm shim between the upper bearing race and the middle spacer. This was to allow adjustment later on when the ball joint wore a little and the shim could be removed. Both of mine still had the shim installed. But even with that removed there is not enough adjustment.

So I was advised to remove the middle spacer which acts as a conduit for the greasing and discard it. (new ball joints do not come with the inner ring spacer).

I first tried to smooth off the ball and the bearing race a little more using valve cutting paste and sticking the ball in the drill. It seems to have worked a treat.

[attachment=1:1zhjufl7]P1060823.jpeg[/attachment:1zhjufl7]

I then installed it without the middle ring spacer and voila – I have a much better fitting lower ball joint. But to make it better and easier to adjust (instead of inserting different size shims) I have ordered an after market adjuster cap to replace the existing ones.

[attachment=0:1zhjufl7]426198A-500x500_0.jpg[/attachment:1zhjufl7]

This should do the trick and even without it now it is nice and smooth with very little play now I have squirted the grease in there. ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

Anonymous

While I wait for more parts to arrive I have got back onto the engine. I painted it the other day and it has come up quite well.

I have chipped away most of the crud inside the water section and cleaned the piston barrel seats in readiness to receive the new barrels.

[attachment=2:1woc7co8]P1060825.jpeg[/attachment:1woc7co8]
                                [attachment=1:1woc7co8]P1060826.jpg[/attachment:1woc7co8]

I put the gasket/shims on tot he piston barrels after checking they all fitted correctly in the crankcase. The came to the level of the crankcase with no gasket and lose fitting. The book say 0.5mm below – I am not quite there but pushed ahead.

[attachment=0:1woc7co8]P1060829.jpg[/attachment:1woc7co8]

I placed them into the crankcase and got about 0.07mm above the surface which is in tolerance. Although I have a feeling they are a little high, but maybe when torqued down correctly this will squeeze them in.

Anonymous

I then bolted them in tightly but not to any particular torque as these are only soft bolts I found in my drawer.

[attachment=0:1ehx8aj8]P1060834.jpg[/attachment:1ehx8aj8]

I poured in the coolant to test the seal – but after a few minutes I got slow drips from a couple of the barrels. So first tempt has failed.
                                  I have put in an email to a local guy to see whether he can help me with this task as it has bothered me for a while to get this right – it is important right ๐Ÿ˜€

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 443 total)
                                • The forum ‘Your Project’ is closed to new topics and replies.