TOC Events List

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

In an attempt to get answers to the questions that are being asked on the TOC forum regarding the “Event Full” status of the Annual Rally I took the liberty of forwarding the following posts on the Forum to the organizer of the 2016 TOC Annual Rally/40th Anniversary Celebrations.

Re: TOC Events List
      postby bazessex » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:20 pm

Well it seems I will not be going to the Birthday event as it is fully booked. I could understand rooms etc being fully booked but anything else seems a bit silly. Surely a event should be able to take all members?
      bazessex

postby OSL282 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:24 pm

Agreed Baz, not everyone will want to go for the full weekend so surely there must be something available for ‘day members’?
      Dave, from Northumberland

December 1952 Traction Avant 11BL bought for restoration (but getting there!) in Black

1974 Citroen D Super in Bleu Delta (getting some love and attention)
      OSL282

postby bazessex » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:17 pm

According to FP magazine there are no spaces for the rally. Surely if it is in a field or whatever driving around how can it be full? I have been to MG meets where they have been hundreds of cars yet still been able to join in. Since I am a fairly new member I was hoping to go but that seems to be a non starter.

His response was that he currently does not have the time at to follow the ‘Forum’, maybe at sometime in the future he will sign up for it.

So to discuss the subject further here on the Forum won’t get answers to the questions you are asking.

Perhaps the best route would be through the “Letters to the Editor” Page in FP – the deadline for submissions for the next edition is Sunday 9th April…

Anonymous

Thanks Mick. It does seem a bit frustrating that people organising such a important event seem to think the comments on the forum are too time consuming to warrant a reply.
        What point is there writing in to a bi monthly magazine when the event takes place before the issue that would answer the questions asked?
        So all the hype about the 40th birthday bash was not for the newer members who have no idea on what or how events get run and do not realise they are limited to a few.

Anonymous

I have sent a email asking for clarification to John Barsley. Lets see what the reply is. I see in FP on the in Committee page a note saying Forum – need to look at its use and future development. Surely one of the major needs is for all Committee members to be involved in it. Computers have been around a while and the internet could be used to further the cars and club further.

Anonymous

One question to be answered is what is the attendance split between TOC members and non-TOC members. What I am getting to is how many cars are coming from abroad whose owners are not TOC members.

Anonymous

@mpopka wrote:

In an attempt to get answers to the questions that are being asked on the TOC forum regarding the “Event Full” status of the Annual Rally I took the liberty of forwarding the following posts on the Forum to the organizer of the 2016 TOC Annual Rally/40th Anniversary Celebrations.

His response was that he currently does not have the time at to follow the ‘Forum’, maybe at sometime in the future he will sign up for it.

So to discuss the subject further here on the Forum won’t get answers to the questions you are asking.

So basically he didn’t even answer the question asked Mick re numbers attending or if there was space for day visitors?

Anonymous

Now I have read FP about this subject, I agree with Den – it seems around 10 of the rooms are being taken up by other European “heads of state” I met the president of the TU in Paris last year and I could not have been further down his nose if I found whole and jumped into it.

Please tell me the TOC is not similar, although I did feel uncomfortable on my first visit to the NEC a few years ago and we stayed in the same hotel, there were also some very long noses there too :(.

My other questions was also about committee members not being on this forum or at least monitoring threads that they are responsible for. It is a shame that there is only Mick that has to play middle man in all of this.

Anonymous

I sent a email and got a couple of replies. The event is full both hotel and day activities. Total of 60 cars it seems which considering the membership is 600 plus and it being a landmark birthday seems a very low number to allow to me. Add to that there are people from abroad who are taking places the members could have used makes it even more annoying. I have been told I can go on a waiting list but to be honest that is no good as I need to plan dog sitters, work schedule etc. I fail to see why events during the day cannot be open to all. There was no mention beforehand that the day events were part and parcel of limited numbers.

Anonymous

@tripyrenees wrote:

Now I have read FP about this subject, I agree with Den – it seems around 10 of the rooms are being taken up by other European “heads of state” I met the president of the TU in Paris last year and I could not have been further down his nose if I found whole and jumped into it.

Please tell me the TOC is not similar, although I did feel uncomfortable on my first visit to the NEC a few years ago and we stayed in the same hotel, there were also some very long noses there too :(.

My other questions was also about committee members not being on this forum or at least monitoring threads that they are responsible for. It is a shame that there is only Mick that has to play middle man in all of this.

To be honest the attitude you mention does seem to be in the TOC too. I thought a club was for all but I may be wrong.

Anonymous

In an earlier post on this thread, I suggested that the way forward to get answers to your questions, was to write to the Editor of FP.
                      With hindsight, I think that your questions should be addresses to the Chairman, particularly the question of “How many Non-TOC members are booked”.

I suspect that the organizer of the Rally was working to directions from the committee and /or the Chairman and President.

What has happened, has happened.

How about some proposals as to what needs to be done to meet the requirements of those who want to attend but are unable to do so because the “event is full”.

I look forward to reading your suggestions and proposals.

Anonymous

Pretty simple really. Have the day events open to all members since it is a club do. Catering for less than 10% of membership for a landmark birthday do just does not make sense. I do not stay in hotels unless I have to and prefer to hire a holiday cottage, something which I have done but will now just go there and have a break rather than participate in the event. Perhaps I have missed something but I do not recall seeing anywhere a breakdown of events other than the option to drive around the countryside.
                        I wonder how many others would have liked to attend but are being excluded because of limited planning?
                        Perhaps it is just me but surely those running the club should be monitoring feedback from the forum as well as the letters sent in?
                        Should there be two levels of membership in future, one for just belonging and a higher level to attend events, then organisers would have more of an idea on numbers likely to attend?
                        I know it looks like I am having a go at people who have put hard work into organising the event and that is not my intention.

Anonymous

@bazessex wrote:

I know it looks like I am having a go at people who have put hard work into organising the event and that is not my intention.

I do agree with you Baz – it is not hard to book a hotel (it is my job and I do it for hundreds of people each year across several countries with all the logistics in between), the hard bit is marketing and monitoring the interest of the event in real time.

As this forum has an EVENTS area, then the organiser should be monitoring and updating their event to which they are responsible for. To have an excuse of being too busy to log onto the forum is beyond belief – I work (and physically have to prepare each season for), have a family, have several old bangers I am working on but because this my interest, I make time to log on and see what is going on and really appreciate it when I have issues with my car and other members join in.

FP is just a nice to have but in this “modern” age (which I believe to have been around for the past 20 years or so) I do think the forum is THE place to go for organising and monitoring club and other events.

Oh and a PS – I noticed that the President in the last FP said he is still waiting for ideas with regards to the AGM – So I assume he is also too busy to read what was discussed in this forum a few months ago….. sort of hurts 😉

Anonymous

@OSL282 wrote:

@tripyrenees wrote:

On another note – are there any plans for the NEC in November? I always need to plan ahead when travelling.

Ian

In March/April Floating Power it does say that there is a ‘volunteer’ to organise things at the NEC plus looks like Manchester Classic Car Show is booked for 17th & 18th September Ian.

Hi
                            Just to clarify on the Manchester Show, we have put down a marker for a stand, but won’t know for sure until April. However, I think it unlikely that we will be turned down.

Anonymous

Well it seems if you ask questions and query the decision to cater for less than 10% of the membership people get very defensive and upset. I asked perfectly reasonable questions and got a reply which in short read as I cannot be bothered to answer you. I have been told I can go on a waiting list but to be honest with attitudes like this it seems new members are not welcome. I sent two e mails and that seems to be too much for the organiser. It seems I am being marked as a troublemaker for asking why people cannot attend on the day. Nowhere on any of the pieces I saw in FP did it state to attend you needed to book in to the Hotel. I am being reported to the Chairman and President it seems.
                              I could say a lot more but to be honest it is a waste of time when people cannot see a problem. Here is a suggestion for the next meeting, try getting up to date and have all members of the committee on the forum or shut it down. Add to that make it clear in articles about rallies exactly what is on offer.

Anonymous

@bazessex wrote:

Well it seems if you ask questions and query the decision to cater for less than 10% of the membership people get very defensive and upset. I asked perfectly reasonable questions and got a reply which in short read as I cannot be bothered to answer you. I have been told I can go on a waiting list but to be honest with attitudes like this it seems new members are not welcome. I sent two e mails and that seems to be too much for the organiser. It seems I am being marked as a troublemaker for asking why people cannot attend on the day. Nowhere on any of the pieces I saw in FP did it state to attend you needed to book in to the Hotel. I am being reported to the Chairman and President it seems.
                                I could say a lot more but to be honest it is a waste of time when people cannot see a problem. Here is a suggestion for the next meeting, try getting up to date and have all members of the committee on the forum or shut it down. Add to that make it clear in articles about rallies exactly what is on offer.

+1 as they say 🙂

Anonymous

It seems unless I am getting my wires crossed that those running the club see the internet as a inconvenience rather than a asset. I have been told by them that the forum is not the place to discuss this. They prefer I write in to the magazine which is published every two months for answers. Of course by the time said answers are available the event will be over.
                                  I was at a recent Citroen Car Club meeting and met a couple of other Traction owners who like me wanted to attend on the day but not take up the Hotel or meal. They like me are not happy but seem resigned to be excluded from the event, that is all except one who intends just driving around the area hoping to find some owners in the same boat. Personally I could not be bothered to do that as to me it seems like gatecrashing a party you are not invited to. I am a new member and still find it beyond belief that the attitude of the organisers and club officials seems to be tough luck. New members have no idea on how the club caters for different events and it may be a idea that someone is assigned to contact new members and maybe guide them along and make them feel welcome. At this time I feel far from welcome.
                                  I know some will see this as a moan but it really is not, it is trying to understand how a club seems happy to exclude members from a landmark event in it’s history.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
                                • The forum ‘Events’ is closed to new topics and replies.