Is it still a project when I haven’t done anything yet

Traction Owner’s Club Forums General discussions Is it still a project when I haven’t done anything yet

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 171 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

The carpet is a nice 1970s Avocado shag. Hideous! I recall restoring my 11B in the 80s, the original fabrics just weren’t available; for that car I went to Lebaron-Bonney and it still looks nice. Early V-8 Ford fabric and what’s wrong with that? I’m sure looking to get this thing in my garage so I can start throwing spanners (and money) at it.

Anonymous

I just got a set of tyres from Longstone. Ordered on Monday, arrived on Friday. No shipping costs! Amazing!

Anonymous

And now, it begins. I brought the car home yesterday finally, took off the bonnet, up on stands, wheels off. Drums off later today to see what’ s what. Battery is on charge, maybe it will work. Fun times! I’ve got plenty of beer so I should be OK. I will post pictures as soon as I can figure out how to make that work.

Anonymous

Took the brakes apart today, everything looked like you’d expect. Normal but well-worn. Someone put odd front brake hoses on using some brass fittings. Need the hoses and the fittings for the ends of the hoses. Might have to re-pipe the car. Probably should anyway. I removed the upper front plate on the gearbox, the kind that sticks through the grill like a piece of pipe and put an original one on. Hate the way it looked. Does anyone want the one I took off? Took the tyres off the rims and found one rim is rusted out. Not good. the other rims will be sandblasted and powder coated in an ivory colour maybe next week. It’s progressing and I would think it would be driveable in a couple of weeks if I didn’t have to go to London and help John Gillard and go to pubs and drink cask ale. ๐Ÿ˜†

Anonymous

Engine is out, gearbox off and the bell housing is off to have a bit rewelded. Had the beat the starter out of the engine block with a sledge hammer! Had to clean out a mouse nest in the bell housing. The brake drums, shoes and so forth are reassembled. Awaiting a MC and the front hoses and the brakes are done. The rack has to come out as one of the inner pins has some play and the upper control arm bushings are worn on the drivers’ side. While the engine is out I’ll do the timing chain and clutch. New distributor and fuel pump are coming. I wanted a project and I sure got one!

Anonymous

Are you putting in a new diaphragm clutch or just chaining the plate ?

I am just about to buy and new clutch kit as I have been told it transforms the car….. specially if you have not set up the regional clutch (after splitting it into a million parts ๐Ÿ˜† )

Anonymous

There are pros and cons to a diaphragm clutch living in the Pyrenees Ian.

It normally involves machining the flywheel to get clearance and a lighter flywheel means that the revs drop away faster between gear changes with a 3 speed gearbox……

Clutch may be ‘lighter’ but there may be a trade off just so you are aware. Citroen fitted that big lump of a flywheel for a reason.

Anonymous

So it is not just a straight replacement ?

I assumed it was a replacement kit, ready to bolt on ๐Ÿ™

EDIT – I just checked with CAS and they say it should be a direct bolt on and that they only machine when the flywheel is not flat or has blue spots from over heating. I had my flywheel and crankshaft balanced when doing the engine rebuild so hoping that it is OK. Would welcome advice on this if anyone has found it to be different.

Sorry Larry for the mini hijack, maybe ask John while your in his workshop ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anonymous

Yes sorry for the mini hijack. It all depends on the type of clutch being fitted Ian. If CTA say it should be OK then you should be fine. Others have used Ford Granada and other clutches…….

Anonymous

@OSL282 wrote:

Others have used Ford Granada and other clutches…….

Oh come on!! – you know I am a purist at heart ๐Ÿ˜‰

Anonymous

I was talking with Chris Treagust about the diaphragm clutch the other day. The kit he sells, which I think is the same as the one that CTA offers, contains an adaptor ring and needs no machining: http://www.ctaservice.nl/product/21206/KOPPELINGSSET-DIAFRAGMA . One day soon I shall purchase such a thing, and probably a couple of years later I shall fit it – or when my noisy release bearing collapses, whichever is the sooner. I imagine the pressure plate comes from some normal car – could well be a Granada. Chris

Anonymous

I have a diaphragm clutches in my Normale and my Cabriolet. Well worth it.

Anonymous

Just got back last night and John is very busy right now. I have a diaphragm clutch on the 11B, but I can get the original redone pretty cheaply locally so I’ll do that. The pedal didn’t seem especially hard to push. Yes, you do lose a bit going uphill as I’ve lightened the 11B flywheel so I think I’ll keep this one original for now. As I understand it, the diaphragm clutch is from a Land Rover or am I wrong? Did I just hijack my own thread? :mrgreen:

Anonymous

Today I changed the timing chain; the old one was actually in decent shape. Changed the valve cover gasket, the valve train all looked O.K. More cleaning, de-rusting, all that nonsense. Behind the battery box the vertical part of the steel is rusted out. I will have that cut out and welded with a new piece, eliminating the opening which in an upper-wiper car doesn’t seem to have much purpose. In the rear of it is where I want to mount the light and horn relays so I’ll need a space to do it. Photos are coming! Soon! When, I don’t know.

Anonymous

I just picked up my powder-coated wheels and hubcap rings (ivory) with new tyres on them and the rebuilt clutch. The master cylinder, hoses and all the steel brake lines are done. The rack is ready to go back in, then waiting for some gearbox work (new bushings on 2nd and 3rd and setting the 2nd gear end float) and a throw-out bearing and the engine returns from whence it came. All the big money has been spent, now it’s rewiring with fuses and relays and painting and sorting out everything in the engine room. The body and interior will wait until next year. The front floor is full of holes on the drivers’ side and a new proper panel is not much money from Jose Franssen. Getting close! Just in time for winter!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 171 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.