Is it still a project when I haven’t done anything yet

Traction Owner’s Club Forums General discussions Is it still a project when I haven’t done anything yet

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 171 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

I was thinking it was some sort of production thing. Lack of whatever that is needed to plate them due to a worldwide shortage or something. Anyway, it’s probably cheaper and less time consuming to just buy new. Even the grille crest is in the same condition, looking like it might never have been plated. But thanks for the info, Den and the posting of the photos, Ian. Oh- it has the spark advance on the steering column, not the dashboard- if that matters. If it has no turn signals at all, should it not have semaphores?

Anonymous

………….

Anonymous

@Den Hewitt wrote:

That was my post (Den Hewitt) not Ian’s Larry.

I have a this slight feeling that Larry was thanking me for putting the photos up, Den. Not ageing each part of the car, that is your domain.

Anonymous

Yes, that is correct the thank yous. The spark advance doesn’t look like that, I will have a closer look soon. There’s two random holes in the dashboard, neither looks large enough for a spark advance. Once I get a battery in it I’ll see what works and what doesn’t. Also, the headlights have “Marchal” on the rims with the small triangular indicator on top but the lenses look like nothing I’ve ever seen, translucent with a vertical rectangular pattern in the glass and no makers indication on them. Kind of ugly. I will try to post a picture of them later.

Anonymous

………..

Anonymous

From Larry

[attachment=2:2377oiai]IMG_0897.JPG[/attachment:2377oiai]

[attachment=1:2377oiai]IMG_0898.JPG[/attachment:2377oiai]

[attachment=0:2377oiai]IMG_0899.JPG[/attachment:2377oiai]

Anonymous

Thanks a lot Ian. Those lenses don’t look like any I’ve ever seen. They have to go! I assume a dashboard like this would have an aluminium “P” switch for the ceiling light? There is a knob there but it’s not original.

Anonymous

…………

Anonymous

………….

Anonymous

Mine has an oval “D” knob for the starter, an oval knob on the glove box and there is the “egg timer” turn signal switch in the centre of the dash. The choke knob is round but still not original and I have a brand new oval knob (with Bowden cable) to replace it. I noticed tonight that the ceiling light has a switch on the unit itself, so that settles that item. AXO turn signals are on the sides of the roof where they should be and I have new lenses to replace them. For the front turn signals, I have amber lenses which I will paint the rear part with flat black to look proper; I just need to order the sockets and rubber underlay pads for them. It also has the extended round thing that holds the starting crank, the kind that protrudes through the grille, that will be removed and replaced with the original part which I already have. I have some decent aluminium chevrons which will replace the pitted chrome plated ones. Den, do you want them? I wont be using them. I plan to install fuses for everything and 6-volt relays for everything except the turn signals and wipers. I will likely install a South Wind Heater. It will be about 3 weeks before I can bring it home and then the real fun project will begin.

Anonymous

…………

Anonymous

………………

Anonymous

The starter knob has the “D” horizontally. I was never planning to keep it 100% original anyway with all the wiring changes I’m planning. I mean, it’s got the turn signals on the roof in correct fashion for whatever year so I have no problem keeping them. if it was a coupe I would want it 100% but I sure can’t afford one of those! I can send the chevrons to you in September when I come over to work at Gillard’s again unless you’re in a hurry. Only would like you to pay the postage.

Anonymous

September is fine Larry, thanks.

Anonymous

Looks like a nice project Larry. We needed another project thread here now that Trippy’s isn’t constantly updated.

I wonder if that greenish carpet is a badly faded black? My carpet has a similarly unhealthy look and will have to be replaced one day.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 171 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.