Is it still a project when I haven’t done anything yet

Traction Owner’s Club Forums General discussions Is it still a project when I haven’t done anything yet

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 171 total)
  • Author
    Chris
    Participant

It must be starting to feel like a project now…?

Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

Chris

Larry Lewis
      Participant

Oh yeah, it’s a project, all right. I drove the car a few miles the other day and the only way it would run well is with the timing pretty far advanced. I fiddled with the spark advance on the steering column, retarded it so it would idle slower and it would stall. Not good! By the time I got home it overheated with water and steam gushing out of the overflow. There was adequate oil pressure so I think the engine is basically OK. Filling the radiator I only lost about 1 quart. I got it running two days later and it’s only running on cylinders 1 & 3 and running very cool. There’s good spark at both so I’m thinking the plugs (NGK) might be defective. Next, I will do a compression test, it is possible that the head is warped. If the compression is all good and the valve train is working correctly, then I will see what new plugs will do. But right now it’s too damned hot to work in my garage so it’s going to sit until the weather cools off, if ever. Be glad when summer is over. I wanted a project and I sure got one. For pictures, I haven’t added any but the link is on page 4 of this thread.

David Selfridge
        Participant

Hi Larry,   I had a similar problem a few months ago (off number 3 cylinder) it turned out to be a simple solution, replace a defective NGK plug. The bottom end came apart and closed the gap to zero, hope your problem turns out to be the same, and your back on the road after fitting  a new set of plugs. The hot climate in your country possibly made matters  worse, and  the fact that you may have 2 defective plugs, doubling your problem.

Regards

Davy

Larry Lewis
          Participant

Thanks Davy- I did a cold compression test, results are these:

#1- 95

#2-95

#3-110

#4-105

So I think the engine is basically OK, I will try new plugs later today. Yes, it’s been hotter than hell here this summer, not fun at all.

David Faulkner
            Participant

Larry, James Geddes has had a lot of issues lately with NGK plugs failing in Tractions, even new ones going off in a very short time, so it’s worth trying something different.

David Selfridge
              Participant

Yes the failed NGK Plug had only been in my Traction for about 200 miles, maybe Champion Plugs would be more reliable.

Davy

Bernie
                Participant

Gents,

This really is interesting because I have had precisely the opposite problem on two occasions.  The first was with the 5HP Cloverleaf which would not run on a new set of Champions after I had rebuilt the engine in 2013 –  but has not missed a beat in the five years since I changed over to NGK plugs as recommended by a fellow 5HP owner.

However, more relevant to this thread is my much more recent experience with the 15/6.  I fitted new Champions H10C plugs when I rebuilt that engine early last year.  It seemed fine for the first thousand miles as I ran it in on a round trip to the TOC annual rally in Scotland.  Admittedly there were a few hiccups but, as I found I had the issue of a cracked manifold,  I simply assumed any lumpy running was down to that rather than anything else.  However, armed with a new manifold, we set off 2 weeks later to join the Brittany Clubs rally and then I realised I still had misfiring problems.

After discussions I changed the plugs – I was carrying a spare set of new Champions.  All was well initially but within 500 miles the misfire had returned.  At the suggestion of Phil Allison I bought and fitted a set of Bosch WR8B+ (+20) plugs as soon as I got home and have not had a mis-splutter since.

B…………………

Larry Lewis
                  Participant

I’ve got NGKs in my 11B for at least  10 years now and haven’t had a problem with them but I understand that they can come up defective. I’ve used Bosch plugs with good results so I may try those next. I bought a set of NGKs so I will try them and see what occurs and if all is well, I will stay with them. With Champions I understand that the connector on the plug does not unscrew so I can’t use NGK motorcycle-type connectors which I think are the best around. They’ve been on my 11B since the 1980s and I have them on the 49BL. I’ll get back to the car this weekend as right now I’m in Northern Ontario on business.

Larry Lewis
                    Participant

I sorted out the spark plugs, it’s running on all four but I can’t seem to to get the timing and carb set up properly. If the timing is advanced, it idles at too high a speed and the idle adjustment screw is “out of play,” if I retard the timing and then increase the idle speed, it will bog down and eventually stall and be difficult to re-start. Also it runs too hot (new tube in the head) and has overheated twice while on the road.  Possibly a vacuum leak, but I sure don’t know where. The compression is still good, so overheating hasn’t warped the head as far as I can tell. Any advice would sure be appreciated.

David Selfridge
                      Participant

I had a Traction some years ago that would periodically misfire, then would clears itself for maybe a few hundred miles, then start misfiring again. It took me a long time to figure out trying numinous things which proved difficult, as I tryed and hoped it then started to misfire again. As a last resort I fitted an earth wire to the distributor and that Traction never missed a beat, covering many thousands miles thereafter.

Hope this helps to get your Traction running sweetly  down Yonge Street once again.

Regards, Davy

Larry Lewis
                        Participant

Thanks Davy- I will check that out but I’m not getting my hopes up. I will be in London at the end of August and will be staying with John Gillard and I will see what he says. I wish I could afford to bring that car over to let John sort it out. If only I could place it in the overhead luggage rack!

Bernie
                          Participant

Earthing the distributor is a very good tip for misfires but I would not expect it to solve the inconsistent idling speed which Larry is experiencing.  I wonder if the choke is operating correctly, i.e. returning to the fully open position when the button is pushed home?

B…………..

Larry Lewis
                            Participant

Thanks Bernie, the choke is fully closed as far as I can tell. This car has the earlier Solex FPAI carb which is very complex compared to the 32PBIC.

Bernie
                              Participant

Larry,

I must admit I had assumed it was a 34PBIC – but, in my opinion the 35FPAI is a better option.  It can be a little thirstier but gives better performance and is what I had on the Légère for many years.

If you have not already done so, it might be worth stripping it down and checking the jets.

B……………..

David Selfridge
                                Participant

Larry

Have a good time in London, you should  learn a lot from John. No person can equal John’s knowledge and experience, working on the Citroen Traction Avant. You may be able to persuade John to return with you to Toronto, and sort your car out and carry out a full service in the process.

Give my regards to John when you meet, it’s been a few years since we’ve spoken, a real gentleman, always friendly, helpful, and eager to share his knowledge with others even if it holds up his busy schedule.

You are also receiving very good information from Bernie, a very knowledgeable person and always willing to help, and share his vast experience with all the members on this forum.

Davy

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 171 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.