Is it still a project when I haven’t done anything yet

Traction Owner’s Club Forums General discussions Is it still a project when I haven’t done anything yet

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 171 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

In the 49 BL, you can’t even see the damned thing! Great design! 😈 👿

Anonymous

Today I go to install a new right rear outside door handle. Pull out the old one and the lock mechanism falls apart. Had to take the window out to retrieve the 3 pieces that fell behind the rear part of the window track. Looks like some pieces are missing so a call to Mr Gillard is in order. Damn! New exhaust goes in tomorrow; I bought a front pipe cheap for an 11B thinking with my clever brain that it would be the same. Shit! It’s not! A trip to the exhaust garage where I suggested some bends. They suggested cutting it near the top, swaging one piece and fitting back together. I will mark it and bring it back so they can weld it together. It’s always something.

Anonymous

Is it starting to feel like a project yet Larry? 😀
          Chris

Anonymous

Just a little. But, like they say in Texas and Alberta, “This ain’t my first rodeo.” 😉

Anonymous

Now I have run into something. I can not remove the outside door handle on the front passenger door. I move it and the inside handle in all directions and no luck! It will move outward a little maybe 1/4 of an inch and then stop. Any ideas? I have a new locking handle to install and this thing is going to look odd with 3 new and one old outside handles. A little help, please.

Anonymous

From another forum!

Put the inner handle back on, pull it down to unlatch the door and then pull out the outer handle out, when the handle is in the rest position it has a cam on the inside of the lock to lock the handle in

This is said to have worked….

Anonymous

I tried that, didn’t work. the outside handle will move only so far and then stop. I’m thinking of drilling out the corners of the handles shaft where it goes into the mechanism, maybe that will do it. It’s a leap in the dark I know but I can’t think of any other way to do it. I should probably wait until I have another lock assembly in my hands before I try that.

Anonymous

Would it be possible to post photographs of your Lincoln as I would be very interested in this type of car.
                    Regards
                    Davy Selfridge

Anonymous

To save you reducing photos you may wish to email to me/ davidselfridge52@icloud.com
                      Thanks
                      Davy

Anonymous

Well that sure shows good taste! I can send you photos, but you can go to google images for 1962 Lincoln and lots of pictures will come up. Mine most assuredly ain’t for sale!There’s always some on Ebay motors in the USA.

Anonymous

L. Lewis
                          Thanks for your quick reply.

Although my home is in Northern Ireland, I spent some time in your city of Toronto. I journeyed down Young Street many,many times in a Mustang and a Ford Flairlane (I think it was a Ford Flairlane) with a sloped back roof. In fact I was arrested by your Police Force for speeding in your city in 1978, when they found out that I was a tourist they gave me a fools pardon and released me with a severe warning. This was the only bad memory from my time in Toronto.
                          I stay in an apartment block on Pharmacy Avenue? through many summers in the 70’s & 80’s.
                          This is where I get my love for the Lincoln Continental.

Regards
                          Davy

Anonymous

Hi David- it’s actually Ford Fairlane. Fairlane was the name of Henry Ford’s estate in Dearborn, Michigan. Toronto has changed a lot since 1978, I doubt you’d recognize it today. regards-Larry

Anonymous

So what I have done is paint the boot floor, rear floor and anywhere I could reach with POR-15 then a coating of Tremclad rust preventive paint that is strictly a Canadian product. Good stuff! The boot lid I had repainted as there was rust at its lower areas and it was rusted through below the hinges. After that I coated the rear floor with pickup truck bed spray which is similar to undercoating but is a lot stronger and will resist scratches and so forth. All of the door windows are out to renew the tracks and the rubber in the bottom channels, also the rubber along the upper parts of the doors. Not a fun job, removing rubber that is as hard as stone! 😥

The insides of the doors have been coated with POR-15 and then Tremclad and then a product we have here called Rust-Check which is similar to Waxoyl but is an aerosol. I don’t think rust should be a problem here anytime soon. I drilled proper drain holes in the doors as there weren’t any. I can see that there was previous welding work to the bottoms of all the doors but it all still looks OK. The door card holes aren’t there on the lower parts however, so these will have to be drilled out when the time comes. On the lower areas the door cards were held on with sheet metal screws but that will be put right probably next spring when I’ll have all the interior fabrics and so forth. I have redone the carpeting in the boot and it looks pretty good. New door rubbers gaskets which is a job I hate. Won’t stay in the f******* channels 😈

One thing about driving it without windows is that there is almost no wind buffeting, like riding in a DS. This Sunday is a Bastille Day event and I am scheduled to the bring the car to it. The French consulate is supposed to attend and there better be free beer. :mrgreen:

I did have a little trouble with the starter as it wouldn’t engage. Remove the carb, manifolds and all that junk and then it was easy. The rebuilder used heavy oil on the bendix splines and the recent humidity made it bind up. A five minute job in an 11B, not five in a BL. 👿

Anonymous

The windows are back in, new lower ball joint adjusters and now it rides pretty good. Still need to get it aligned and the wheels balanced on the car. Just got done waxing it and it looks decent. A “ten footer” as they say. The next major step is to replace the front floor and some metal on the right side inner bulkhead in front of the door, then the rust around the rear window and cowl vent get sorted out and the roof painted and then the interior next year. But for now, it’s driveable.

Larry Lewis
                                Participant

Has it been that long since I started working on this thing? Anyway, the new floor is in and a great job was done. I was driving it for a time and while on a motorway I notice the gradually falling oil pressure. It faded right down to zero. Not good. A friend had an ID-19 engine that I could have. It had been rebuilt many years ago for installation in a Traction but ended up in his basement. It wasn’t fun hand-carrying it up the stairs. Some mods had been done already like installing a longer front camshaft bearing so the Traction cam could be used. I took the engine apart and found stains on all the crank journals so the crank was polished and new standard-size bearings were installed. The ID crank and 11 flywheel and clutch were balanced as well as the pistons and rods. A Roger Williams oil pump and the engine was ready to go in or so I thought.

I tried to turn the engine over by hand. Not happening. Tried with the starter. Nope. The weather got cold as it always does in Canada and so it sat all winter. Sump off, I thought it was the end float of the crank. I tried this shim, that shim. Still the engine was stuck. I asked Dave Burnham, A professional Citroen restorer in the States about it and he said to check the centre main bearing cap as it is probably installed backwards. I did that and it was. It does pay that when you mark a part for correct reinstallation to remember what the mark is. Should have written it down.

Engine back in the car, assembled all the bits. Tried to start it but there was severe backfiring through the carburettor. I thought maybe I should check the action of the rocker arms. distributor rotor and such rather than being doused in flaming petrol. I found out that I had installed the spark plug wires in reverse. I corrected that and it fired right up! Timed it by ear and it’s running pretty good. I need to do the first head torque and adjust the valves but, finally after all this time it’s among the living.

The next step is back to the body shop (I will post pictures) to get what hasn’t already been painted redone. After that, the interior. Circumstances forced me to sell my Lincoln (sadly) and with the money the first thing I bought was the entire interior from Renelauto so all that is sitting in a great big heavy box under my model train layout. Carpet, seats, headliner, sun visors and door cards pre-made and ready to install. I can install some of it, like the carpets but the headliner and seats I will leave to a pro.  It should be a nice car when it’s done, don’t you think?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 171 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.